Buyers dilemma, macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andersp85, Jun 26, 2011.

1. andersp85 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys!

Awesom forum and site!

The time has come for a new Macbook Pro, I have a 15' from 2007 but i want a bigger screen and more juice!

I am from Denmark and prices for a new one is ridiculous! $4500!! So im going to get it from an alternative source.

Either one from the US, the 17' with 8gigs of ram to roughly $2700 from an applestore or a used one.

I have found a pristine 17 from october 2010 with upgraded ram and the 2.66ghz to the same price. (inc. 3 years of applecare) the machine also comes with a brand new harddisk, never booted.

On paper the only thing different is the new processor 2.2ghz and the old 2.66 ghz, both i7 - and the graphic card, the old one being a 330m with 1gig i believe and the new one a 5760.

The US is of cause with a us keyboard and the danish is with a danish keyboard, which is nice but not crucial.

Another concern is the fact that I might be caught in danish customs and would have to pay 25% of the 2700 + a fine.

How much power do I need? I work with most of the CS5 package and a couple of midrange games. Will i be able to feel a difference?

I must admit that im leaning towards the used danish one, but that might be the anxiety of getting a new mac fast :) (ill be in the states in september)

Any advice

2. ddavid macrumors regular

The 2011 Macbook Pros have a definite speed advantage but I don't know if it's enough to outweigh your high taxes. If you could get a Danish keyboard in the US, I'd say wait until you get here (I suppose customs would be less likely to fine you if you have a Danish mac...)

Other than that perhaps you can vote for lower taxes? ;)

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

The Mac Pro you have now would have a core 2 duo processor in it versus the i7, so there will be a noticeable improvement in performance there, but as to whether there would be a noticeable difference between a 2010 or 2011 model, I don't think so. One of the obvious main advantages to the 2011 model is thunderbolt but other then that the upgraded graphics card would be a modest improvement if you only play midlevel games. I would go for the used 2010 model, sounds like its adequate for your needs.

4. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

not sure on travel costs etc but couldn't you get over to the uk, buy the macbook pro from the apple store, bestbuy etc.
    try the macbook before you set off, put the macbook in your bag with the charger, discs etc and then bin the box!
    i brought something in Gibraltar, and was told once i go through the customs back into spain i am liable to be taxed. so the tour guide said buy something, test it and then throw the packaging away lol
    you could do similar saves being stung by danish customs etc!

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

They are both i7 but much much different. The new machine is substantially faster. Look at the macworld benchmarks.

6. andersp85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Might skip the used one and wait for the new one!

7. tombubi macrumors regular

They will probably release refresh MBP next year.

8. gmans46 macrumors regular

it seems that he kindof needs a new one asap