Buyer's dilemma.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zephyr2095, Oct 22, 2013.

1. zephyr2095 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I have 1500 dollars to buy a new macbook. Can anyone please suggest the best macbook that i can buy with 1500 dollars?

My choices are:

1) The new 13" retina macbook pro.
    2) The 2012 15" retina macbook pro(refurbished).
    3) 2013 Macbook air with i7.

I'll be really grateful if anyone could help me.

also, should I go for the new i5 haswell or i7 quad core ivy bridge.

2. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

It all depends on what you are going to use it for...

If just standard web browsing, simple photo touchups, mucking around with iMovie for fun, and casual (not FPS) gaming, I would go for the 13" mid-range rMBP at $1499. It's faster, has a better screen, and has more RAM than the MBA. And since haswell was just released, it'll have better resale value in the future.

If you are going to do any gaming that requires a decent framerate, you are probably better off with the refurb 15" since it has a dGPU in it.

The MBA is only a good idea if you really need long battery life and that extra 1/2 pound weight savings.

3. zephyr2095 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for replying. In terms of the configuration, which one among the late-2013 retina 13' and the early-2013 retina 15" is better?

My laptop would largely stay on my study table and would hardly ever leave my room since I have computer labs in my college and it is unnecessary to carry a laptop to college.

4. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Better for what?

The 15" rMBP has a quad-core processor. The 13" rMBP has only a dual-core processor.

The 15" has a much faster GPU.

The 15" has a higher resolution screen.

Since it will be on your desk most of the time, portability & battery life don't really matter, I would definitely say the 15" is a better choice for you.