Buyers guide explenation please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maraca2020, Jun 1, 2009.

1. maraca2020 macrumors member

why does it say to wait to buy the umbp? is it only because of the time or because of something else? thanks. + What are your opinions.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Based on the average amount of time before refreshes, there could be an update to the MacBook Pro. I'd wait 'til WWDC (although it's likely nothing will change), and then get it.

Otherwise, changes won't happen 'til October. Whether or not that wait is worth it is up to you.

3. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

yah was i planning on waiting till after WWDC, just in case, then pulling the trigger, :D, im excited

4. Biolizard macrumors 6502

There is evidence to suggest otherwise. The updated Whitebook now means you can get a 500GB drive in that, but not the Unibody Macs. Is that going to stick for 4 months (a suggested October update people are throwing around)? Doubt it.

Plus in recent times lappy updates tend to weigh in around 8 month gaps, so says the Buyer's Guide. We're just about to hit 8 months, unless Apple intends to throw out that timetable.

Add to that Snow Leopard. If Apple release new computers now, people will buy (and thus stop 'waiting'), then have to upgrade the OS later for a price. Releasing new laptops after SL's release (which is likely to be latest September) means lost revenue for Apple. And we know how they like revenue.

Also, Intel are set to release new mobile chips around now. On the assumption that they've stuck to their timetable, and Apple is still popular with them, we'll be seeing the new procs in updated laptops this month I suspect.

I know there's still a chance we'll see no update, but you can't ignore the above either.

5. maraca2020 thread starter macrumors member

when the update occurs what would it most likely be?

6. Biolizard macrumors 6502

7. maraca2020 thread starter macrumors member

thanks. What about graphics cards? and just clock speed or the actual processors?

8. Check 6 macrumors regular

Reading the various comments is interesting to say the least. Yes there will always be a faster unit just around the corner, however it will be at a cost. A cost in money and a cost in battery life. Speed consumes energy. My humble advice is if the current units service your current and near term needs buy one and enjoy it. Computers have a life cycle so in several years you can again fester over the then soon to be released super new unit.