Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several readers have noticed that our Buyer's Guide has recently changed the iPhone recommendation to "Don't Buy - Updates Soon" despite no recent rumors about a new iPhone update.

The Buyer's Guide generates some of its recommendations automatically based on historic product life cycles. For a product like the iPhone, however, which has only been on the market for a short period of time, these product cycles can be less predictive.

The relatively short product cycles for the iPhone reflect the fact that Apple has made regular adjustments to the iPhone's price and storage capacity. Only 2 months after its initial release in 2007, Apple dropped the price of the 8GB iPhone down $200. Then in February, Apple boosted the maximum storage capacity of the iPhone from 8GB to 16GB.

These regular short updates are why the Buyer's Guide recommendation has changed, but Apple has said they are not going to be updating any more products in 2008. So, any new updates wouldn't realistically be seen until early 2009. And Apple has said that they will continue to improve and aggressively price the iPhone in the future.

Regardless, readers should probably wait until Friday before buying any new Apple hardware since Apple and other retailers will be offering Black Friday After Thanksgiving sales. BestBuy, PowerMax and Amazon are already advertising their Black Friday sales, and we believe that both Apple and MacMall will also be offering their traditional discounts on Friday. Last year's discounts were as high as $300 off high end MacBook Pros.

Article Link: Buyer's Guide Update: Apple iPhone, Black Friday Sales

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
The iPhone was not discounted in any way last year on Black Friday, was it?

I don't think it was, as they dropped the price of the iPhone sometime in October or September, IIRC, then gave those who bought it early some sort of rebate (I wasn't really into the iPhone then, so my memory is a bit foggy on that).

What I think could happen is that Apple could start to offer the iPhone 3G without the subsidy (read: contract free) for a cheaper price than what they initially announced. That would make a really good Black Friday sale.

BL.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

gothamm said:
Slow news day at macrumors eh?

Exactly what I was thinking!

I doubt we will see any price reductions on the iPhone in the near future.

jObooW

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
anyone knows if and when there will be discounts in europe (netherlands)?
And will Apple also give it on top of the student discounts?

M.Capz

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2005
I'm looking to pick up the iPhone this afternoon. Think I should wait until Friday?

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
ok, then I will order an alu MB tomorrow anyway :)

I would wait until Friday just in case. Due to the economic situation, we could see bigger price drops than usual, you never know. What's waiting an extra three days?

Pants Dragon

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
What are the odds of an update at MW2009? I've asked for one for Christmas, but I've said that I don't want to get it until after MW since they may update it.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I'm hoping Apple updates the iPhone to have a 32 GB drive & the same speed clock as the iPod Touch v2. IMHO, I still think the iPod Touch & iPhone should have have all the same features, minus the phone. That should be enough to differentiate the 2.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I’m waiting til the new one at MacWorld Expo in Jan

Playing devil's advocate.

And then what will you do when Apple does not announce a 32GB iPhone? If they have a sale on them this Friday, and you wait till January, and there is nothing in January, you may have nothing but wasted time..

BL.

M.Capz

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2005
I’m waiting til the new one at MacWorld Expo in Jan

Yea, I'm pretty sure a new one isn't coming out in January......

I'm just hoping I don't miss out on a small price drop on Friday. Eh, regardless they might give me a deduction if I tell them I bought it on Monday :)

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Best Buy's got some smokin sales. I just got $150 off my MacBook (2.4) today and I didn't have to trudge out on Friday to do it.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I bet there will be a good price reduction due to the economic conditions (At least $100 off Mac's).

I would save my money and see what's going to happen at Macworld.
We know that Snow Leopard is coming and possibly an updated Mac Mini, MacBook Air, and iMac along with some kind of change with the iPhone.

santiv

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2008
I'm holding out for $300 off from MacMall for 2.8GHz Mac Pro with VMWare Fusion and Windows XP. Anybody hear anything about an update to the 17" mbp?

sizzle

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
Like Stagi, I am also interested on learning about a discount for Apple TV. I am so close to canceling my cable TV service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.