Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traxan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
So I had been holding off on upgrading my 6S Pro. But the battery ran down pretty fast just sitting unplugged despite of optimization efforts, like turning off background updates.

But 4 months ago I took the jump to the 11, and honestly can't see a difference, except the home button is gone in favor of the annoying gesture and I need a special adapter for the headphone jack. Performance is the same for the apps I use

So I ask you all, seriously, what did I get for my upgrade?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
A bitter truth. Smartphones have plateaued for a few years now, especially if you are not much into photography. Lots of niche gimmicks that few people ever use and minor improvements on the margins. Some features such as 3D Touch have already come and gone, and who cares about "animoji"? It is a bit sad, if you think back to the excitement of the early 2010s ...

oilers780

Cancelled
Apr 15, 2020
I said the battery life is just as bad, running down real fast, and performance is the same in the apps I use.

If battery life is an issue, I would troubleshoot that. Try using iCloud to backup your phone and then factory reset it and restore the software backup. See if that helps. If it's still an issue, you may have to start as a new iPhone from factory settings and then run it for a day or two to see if that solves it. It could be a software issue. If none of that solves it, you may have to talk to Apple about a warranty swap, especially since you can't physically bring it into an open location in all likelihood.

If you want something like the 6S, go to the SE and sell your 11 for whatever you can get for it.

Reactions: adrianlondon

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I said the battery life is just as bad, running down real fast, and performance is the same in the apps I use.
Even a brand new 6s would have hours less use time than an 11. So if you’re seeing a brand new 11 get equivalent battery life to a years-old 6s, there’s something very wrong with the 11.

same for performance. The difference even between the A10 in my 7 and the A12 in my wife’s Xs is very easy to see. The gap between the A9 and the A13 should be night and day in even everyday tasks. What are you doing that you’re not seeing a difference?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
A bitter truth. Smartphones have plateaued for a few years now, especially if you are not much into photography. Lots of niche gimmicks that few people ever use and minor improvements on the margins. Some features such as 3D Touch have already come and gone, and who cares about "animoji"? It is a bit sad, if you think back to the excitement of the early 2010s ...
This. I mean battery is important and one thing that is true for me is the 6s isn’t as good compared to an xr or 11. And if the sound from the speakers are great.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

One of your points is valid, and the other is not.

Where I agree:

3D Touch was a failed feature, yes, Apple failed to market that feature and it was very confusing how to use it, which was completely ignored by the user from the majority of consumers. Which is unfortunate, because it was very useful in terms of execution for short cutting, but there was no specific implementation how to use it, aside from the keynote when Apple first debut 3D Touch with the 6S.

Where I disagree:

Animoji Seems to fit in directly with expressing in terms of text (Actually using emojis). If you look how consumers tend to express emotion or thought in terms of communication, they are using emoji‘s, and Animoji‘s is a segue into that. The only reason I would say it’s not as popular, is because I think consumers are Still making the trend upgrading to newer phones that actually support Animoji, but I do think it is very popular, and it demos Apples latest technology with The ‘true-depth’ camera.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Gosh. I upgraded my 6S (there is no Pro version - I assume you mean the big screen one) to an 11 last October. A massive upgrade. I never liked TouchID as most of the time my thumb seemed to be either too dry or too wet for it to work properly.

FaceID is excellent - I love the fact it allows access to the notifications only when I look at the phone, rather than someone else having a gander. I also went from 16GB to 64GB which really helps. The screen is much better, the phone is noticeably faster, the camera is better. My battery lasts two days most of the time and will always last the entire day, whereas my 6S, even with a newish replacement battery, would occasionally not make it through the day.

You repeated twice that for you the battery and performance is the same as your 6S. Checking the specs, it isn't - so not sure what apps you're running that seem to kill the battery quickly without needing extra processing capacity. What made you upgrade in the first place? What was wrong with your 6S?

If you had buyers remorse and you bought from Apple, you had two weeks to return it for a full refund. It's taken you four months to realise you don't feel the upgrade was worth it, but you could still sell it and recover some money.

Traxan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Something unusual has happened. I did an iCloud backup and wiped it, then restored. After the restore it was asking for multiple iCloud backup passwords to hotmail and gmail accounts I don't own. Any ideas?

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I only ever once had buyers remorse which was when I got an iPhone 6

At the time it was 1029$ in Canada before tax, a huge jump in price over the 5s because our exchange rate dropped.

After I got over The new design, I saw how little had effectively changed and I couldn't justify having spent that much on a mostly identical experience

So I sold my 6, recouped as much money from a private sale as I could, and spent 1/3 of that getting an iPhone 5s

I used that money to get a 6s the following year which is the upgrade I expected from the 6

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I only ever once had buyers remorse which was when I got an iPhone 6

At the time it was 1029$ in Canada before tax, a huge jump in price over the 5s because our exchange rate dropped.

After I got over The new design, I saw how little had effectively changed and I couldn't justify having spent that much on a mostly identical experience

So I sold my 6, recouped as much money from a private sale as I could, and spent 1/3 of that getting an iPhone 5s

I used that money to get a 6s the following year which is the upgrade I expected from the 6
This was my exact experience. iPhone 6 was the only phone I sold after 1 month of use and went back to my previous phone which was the 5S. 6S was my next upgrade and I still have that phone as a backup phone/iPod to this day.. 6S was the phone the 6 should of been

Jack_SB

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2020
What do you use your phone for then?
If you can’t feel any difference, your usage might be Facebook, or calls/messages only, or staring at the phone, I don’t know.
But I know that we would be able to help you if you describe what you actually use your phone for.

Traxan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Yes.'

What do I use it for? Phone calls. :p Checking FB and IG, a little browsing and email when out of the house, and some games. I'm not a heavy user.

Reactions: motulist

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I understand you. I'm in similar boat. Have 6 and just got SE but even though it was time I still feel little buyers remorse.
I had to realise that eventually one will have to upgrade so getting almost 6 years from iPhone 6 is actually impressive for a smartphone so I'm pleased with that. However, I could maybe even stretch it one more year but at the same time, the remorse would still be there.
I have bday next week so for me its a treat but yeah, remorse was there for a bit.
Luckily Apple priced it well so it was easy in the end.

You've got a nice device (I don't like that OLED/FaceID phones but its a nice one). You get tons of improvements which you will probably feel overtime. Sure, it doesn't change much but those times are gone. As someone mentioned - it plateaued so now it feels more like getting new shoes when the olds ones get ruined :)

So I had been holding off on upgrading my 6S Pro. But the battery ran down pretty fast just sitting unplugged despite of optimization efforts, like turning off background updates.

But 4 months ago I took the jump to the 11, and honestly can't see a difference, except the home button is gone in favor of the annoying gesture and I need a special adapter for the headphone jack. Performance is the same for the apps I use

Reactions: brucemr

pérignon

Suspended
Apr 17, 2020

This is exactly how I felt, except with the 11 Pro. I mean word for word. It's almost surreal.

So I ended up returning it within the 2 week period. I went back to my iPhone 8 and couldn't be happier. The better camera on the 11 Pro and other stuff was just gimmicky crap that I didn't want to pay $1k+ for.

I pre-ordered the iPhone SE now, which will be my iPhone 8 replacement.

Reactions: Freida

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Precisely my case. Got 11 Pro but realised that I'm buying something so expensive but nothing really changed. So I returned it after 2 weeks and stayed with my 6 until now. Ordered red 128 SE and I'm super glad I did. Saved over $1000CAD.
Apple hit the nail with SE and I hope that people will buy tons of it to send Apple clear message that people want great phones for normal price and not overpriced "showoff" products. :)

This is exactly how I felt, except with the 11 Pro. I mean word for word. It's almost surreal.

So I ended up returning it within the 2 week period. I went back to my iPhone 8 and couldn't be happier. The better camera on the 11 Pro and other stuff was just gimmicky crap that I didn't want to pay $1k+ for.

I pre-ordered the iPhone SE now, which will be my iPhone 8 replacement.

Reactions: pérignon

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
How is that possible? I have the 11 from the X and it lasts way longer and is faster.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Something unusual has happened. I did an iCloud backup and wiped it, then restored. After the restore it was asking for multiple iCloud backup passwords to hotmail and gmail accounts I don't own. Any ideas?

You either have songs or apps on the phone that someone else purchased from iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.