buyers remorse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by new2oranges, Aug 4, 2012.

1. new2oranges macrumors newbie

Hi.
    Recently i bought a base macbook pro 13" 2012 from a friend (its 2 weeks old) for $950.
    I thought I had an excellent deal but I may have jumped the gun a bit :D

Anyways, what i'm wondering is did I pay to much for it (im a student from australia so I dont have much money:eek:) and also should I have bought a macbook air 13" instead. I keep on seeing all these threads about the mbp being obselete and how apple is going to bring in a retina mbp etc.

However i like the mbp design:
    -uniform thickness
    -black bezel
    -the screen and bezel are smooth lol :rolleyes:

so should i sell my mbp asap and either wait for the retina or get a mba (better resale value)?
    I really want to sell this machine for at least $600-700 next at the end of next year :cool:

Thanks (its my 1st mac too :D)

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Is that one the 2.5 GHz i5 with 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD?

I personally don't think you should have buyer's remorse because you have an awesome machine that is more capable and expandable than the MBA. You can upgrade the RAM, switch out the HDD if you want or even remove the ODD and install a SSD if you want. My point is, you will always have more options with the machine you have. With the MBA(even though it's a great computer) you will always be stuck with what you ordered it with.

Don't sell it because it's great and you made a great purchase.

3. new2oranges thread starter macrumors newbie

yup its the 2.5 ghz i5, 4gig ram

the thing is. I don't plan on upgrading it at all lol:(

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Well it is a good price but if You don't have a lot of money why did you buy a Mac?

5. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

dont worry, keep your machine. Now, I know you are saying you dont want to upgrade, but in a few years, you may want to.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

I don't think it matters if you were planning on upgrading it or not now. The great thing is, it will probably last you longer and it's more powerful and it has more storage, and all for a better price.

And the fact that you CAN upgrade it will mean that you will probably hold on to it longer so that you'll even make the cost more worth it. Some people upgrade every year to have the newest version of everything and if that's what you want, then that's fine. But if not, then your best bet is to get something that can be modified as your computing needs change. The MBP is this type of machine because it is expandable, and it doesn't require TB adapters of solely on usb.

If you want more of a MBA experience, then remove the ODD, remove the HDD, and install a SSD.