buyers remose :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mlchai, Aug 2, 2011.

1. mlchai macrumors newbie

I have a base 2010 model and it's been working for me pretty well except just recently I've been running out of space (literally at 0kb, I had some problems in OSX because of this) so I decided that the upgrade to the new 2011 would be worth it.

I use my old MBA for work and everything runs great, but I found that the development environment is hard to setup in Lion since we're using Java 5. Also, when trying to dual boot with Bootcamp, it's stuck at formatting the drive that I save my drivers to so I can't even dual boot.

I love the new hardware, but Lion is just ruining everything for me. I'm thinking of just sticking with my old MBA and selling this one, or buying an ultimate 2010. What do you guys think?

2. calvol macrumors 6502a

It's hard to beat a 2010 MBA Ultimate unless you're doing numerical processing or encoding video with it. Great battery life, runs cool, and has great graphics. Plus you can probably get a great deal on one now.

3. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Here's a link for a refurbished one from Apple. Best refurbishment I have ever used, it's like it is brand new.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0JH0LL/A?mco=MjEwNTg3Njg

4. ttran88 macrumors regular

Get one off of craigslist.

I got a 2010 13.3 MBA Ultimate mint with applecare until 2013 for 960. It also came with superdrive.

5. mlchai thread starter macrumors newbie

Even though the refurb store is tempting, it's still over $1000 and maybe it's just me, but I feel I should pay less than $1000 now for one, since it's closer to the $1200 model except the newer one has backlit, i5, and 1333 RAM.

craigslist seems to be my best bet, but I bought my air from Amazon and I was wondering if I could exchange it for a new one at the apple store so I can sell a brand new, unopened one, but I'm not sure what apple's policy on laptops bought from other vendors.

6. misterneums macrumors 6502

I don't believe they will take it in from another vender unless there was some sort of defect. You'll be best off shipping it back to Amazon and getting a refund that way.

7. Mopar macrumors member

I bought a 2010 13" ultimate for my wife earlier this year, and it's probably the best Mac I've ever bought - and I've owned a dozen or more over the past 20 years.

I've been so impressed with it, I've been thinking of ditching my 15" MBP and buying another 2010 MBA with a keyboard and Cinema screen to work from home. The 256gb SSD has plenty of room - and is plenty fast, too - as I have other external storage devices if I need them.

It's interesting, because originally I was going to get the 13" MBP for my wife, but once I saw the MBP and MPA side-by-side, I was sold on the MBA. It has a nicer screen, higher resolution, no reflective glass (even though technically it's still a glossy screen, it's not at all reflective - just how I prefer my screens), has longer battery life, is much lighter, portable and more durable, and came with the SSD as standard - that alone convinced me. Plus it was hundreds cheaper than an equivalent SSD 13" MBP!

Best thing is it runs cool and silent and networks flawlessly with my other Macs. Plus it's more than fast enough for what we do - typing, photo editing, surfing and flight simulation (using a Cinema display). All told, I'm about this >< close to buying another one . . .