Buyers (spenders) remorse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jtinch, Sep 20, 2014.

1. jtinch macrumors newbie

So I have been obsessing over the iPhone 6 since the leaks came out over the summer. I had purchased a 32GB 5s using my verizon upgrade in late May. So I decided on selling it before the 6 and 6 plus came out, and wanted to buy the iPhone 6 64GB. I sold it early last week for $400 on swappa(only really leaving me with $375). I work at a store that sells smartphones. Friday came, and the store I work at only had 128GB models after closing. So I made the gut decision to buy one for well over $900 after adding a case and with taxes. Was this a stupid decision? I really wanted the phone, but I feel like I wasted my money. I'm not wealthy, but I'm not strapped for cash. I'm a college student, working full time, and I like to splurge and reward myself from time to time. Would like to hear your thoughts.

2. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Return it, try and pick up one asap, or keep it for now and try and pick one up in the 2 weeks you have to return the first one.

3. RByers8252 macrumors regular

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Only you can answer that. Perhaps if you're so disturbed about it that's a good sign it wasn't a wise decision and you need to behave in a more fiscally sound manner.

(*All said in a grandma voice*)

:apple:

5. erzhik macrumors 6502

Unless you need that 128GB, return it. If you question yourself now, it will get worse in a month or when you'll need money and it all went into the iPhone. Then you will just beat yourself up over spending too much. Or just forget about it and keep it.

6. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It's a good purchase. Just enjoy it or it'd really be a waste.

7. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Well, you did get $375 to offset the price from the sale of your 5S and if you were going to get the 64gb, it was only $100 more. I think you should keep it and enjoy unless you used money that you should have used to pay tuition, books, rent, food or bills. Let's put it this way, if Apple was selling it for $375 cheaper, would you have bought then?

8. Maetzle macrumors regular

Maetzle

I'd exchange it for a 64GB model, especially if the 32GB 5S was enough or just enough space.

I mean - some people on here might say "It's just 100$.", but to me that's a hell of a lot of cash. And even if you have the money: it's still 100$ that you could spend on something that's actually useful to you (like books for college or something more fun), unlike 64GB of space that you don't really need.

Unless - of course - you think that the 32GB that you had on your 5S were 96GB too little.

9. jtinch thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the responses. This really is a great community. I'm not worried about not having money. I didn't completely ruin my wallet yesterday. Fortunately my parents pay for most things since I still live at home. That's not to say I blow my cash every day and don't have bills to pay. I do have financial responsibilities. I just got nervous thinking about $900 going towards a cell phone.

10. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I have gone round and round myself about spending so much on a phone, but nowadays it is much more than a phone, it's a mini computer as well. If you got it for $525 with the sale of your 5S, then I think you did good and you should enjoy it. If you want to exchange for the 64gb and use the extra $100 for Applecare then that my be an idea. Better to have to much storage than not having enough storage.

11. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I think its a crazy amount to spend on a phone. And I'm an investor, own my own business, zero debt, and can buy anything I want.

12. jtinch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response. I think I'm going to keep it, simply because I don't want my company to lose money on a returned phone and give them a headache. I think more than anything, I feel like I need to keep the phone in perfect shape and keep the value high on it.

13. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

All the effort you spend doing that for a year or two will not matter. Right now difference between a "perfect" 5s and one with some scratches is like $100. In other words, meaningless.

So you're going to spend time over the next couple years obsessing about keeping a phone in "perfect shape" for, at most, a couple hundred bucks in value in two years? Total waste, illogical thinking. Instead, direct your attention to far more profitable activities, such as skills, advancement, education, overtime. If you don't return the phone, it's a sunk cost and it's done.

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

900 bucks is a lot of money to spend on a phone, so yeah u contemplate about it.

15. techiebug macrumors 6502a

To many people, spending $1000 for a phone is crazy. But not to my family. I showed my Dad what his Note 3 could do, and he said $700 for his Note 3 was cheap, and he encouraged me to buy the iPhone 6+. Now back to your situation, I think you should have financed it with a credit card with 0 APR. That way you don't need to put down a large sum of your money up front.