Buyin Imac for editing. Which one to choose?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Definitely mayb, May 7, 2008.

1. Definitely mayb macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I'm buying an Imac for editing - preferably hi-res - and possibly also colorgrading. I was just about to buy:

* 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 4GB memory
    * 75GB hard drive1
    * 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    * ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB

When I started reading stuff about the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB, and how it was really bad performance wise, compared to the INVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB and even to the ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB (that's in the cheaper 20' imac). But I think the writing I read (on some other forum) applied to gaming, not editing?

I want to buy the 20'', because it's more handy - I can bring it on a flight with an ilugger bag - and I'd rather have an external monitor on the side.

So basicaly: I want to buy an Imac 20''

But most importantly I want to have the best Imac possible for editing and possible colorgrading purposes. And if necessary I'm totally willing to spend an extra buck on a the latest Imac 24'' to get the INVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB card.

Any advice? I have no clue about these graphic cards, and the people at my local Mac stores seem to know even less. So I really feel on shaky ground here and I just want to buy imac and get going.

Any advice will be extremely appreciated

2. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Well if you have the money to spend then spend it is my matto. But seriously how much are you gonna get into video editing. If you are planning on doing it professionally. If it something you think you will get into then the 20" will be fine.