Buyind Advice - 30" Apple/Dell/HP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by talk, May 9, 2007.

1. talk macrumors newbie

Need some help deciding which 30" monitor to purchase to accommodate my new mac pro. The options: Apple Cinema, Dell 3007WFP-HC and HP LP3065.

Aesthetically, the Apple is clearly the winner. I love the way it looks and it will be my first Apple monitor.

On the other hand, both the Dell and the HP seem to offer a better monitor "on the paper", as well as some additional benefits:
    1) HDCP support (both Dell/HP)
    2) Additional DVI Ports (HP)

In terms of price, the Dell is clearly the cheapest with ~$400 price difference.
    The HP offers 3 HDCP compatible DVI inputs. However, none of these monitors offer additional inputs that will allow me to connect S-Video, RCA devices . In fact, if I understand it correctly, no HDCP enabled video card is currently capable of outputting HDCP over dual-link DVI. As a result, the only benefit that I see with the HP is that i'll be able to connect my powerbook to it without disconnecting the mac pro (nice but not that important).

Here is the deal: If I was able to wait for the next version of the Apple monitor 30", I would have done so. However, that's not an option because, I must decide and purchase the monitor in the next couple of days. I never had the chance to view the Dell/HP 30" in person, yet I seen the Apple in action and I like it (I never saw how it handles games). How do these monitor compare? Will the Dell/HP be better for gaming because of the improved response time? Will they omit more heat? For someone who will be using the monitor under both OSX/Windows for a combination of activities (graphic work/gaming/coding/regular usage) which one would you recommend?

I guess that I am trying to find out if other than aesthetic there is still a reason to get the apple and whether I am really paying more to get less of a monitor only in a nicer casing when picking the ACD?

Thanks!!!

2. seany916 macrumors 6502

I have an older 20" Dell (when it first came out/needed the resolution-1600). I also have a 23" & 30" Apple. Unless color correction is really important to your workflow (or aesthetics are really important to you), keep the $400 and put it in a cookie jar toward your next computer. Depending on what you're buying, you just made 50-10% of your next computer.

My personal recommendation... get a 24" Dell and live with it until the new Apple monitors come out. You can still recoup most of your investment when you sell it, and you can easily justify purchasing the Apple monitor if it makes you happy. And you'll have a great monitor in the meantime.

What I really see happening is that you get the 24", it makes you happy, and the cookie jar/savings fund for your next computer just grew by $1000+ instead of only $400.

Hope things work out with your new purchase.

3. seany916 macrumors 6502

p.s.- don't go by listed specs, they all lie. talk to gamers and other people that actually use them for specific purposes on a daily basis

4. talk thread starter macrumors newbie

Great point - this is why I posted this question in the first place.

Given that I did not have the chance to actually try all three monitors, I am waiting to hear from those who did what they think.

Just to clarify another point: If I don't purchase a 30" monitor now, I won't have the opportunity to purchase one anytime soon. So unfortunately I cannot buy a smaller screen and replace it with a 30".

5. miket019 macrumors member

Last month, I had same problem, I couldn't make up my mind between the 30" ACD or 30" Dell to go with my new mac pro.

I finally pick the Dell and I can tell you it is a beautiful and high quality monitor. It far exceeded my expectation. It was the best $500 I ever saved. I even prefer them over the ACD now.

6. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

I'd go with the Dell. Apple is prob going to update their ACDs soon and they will prob just finally match the Dells, only cost more.

7. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I have the ACD and I'm quite happy with it. The image quality is excellent. If the image quality is the same then saving the money is a good thing. You may need that for the video card. Now if I could just afford a second one...

-T

8. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

What is it that you will do with the monitor, aside from gaming? That ought to help you decided on one.

9. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

30" monitor bad for gaming

First of all, if your primary application is 3D gaming, don't get a 30 inch monitor. Even in the current generation of games, you will be forced to run your games at 2560x1600-- resolution and they will bog down. Your minimum framerates will detract from the quality of your gameplay. To anyone who is really serious about having a good time gaming on a 30" monitor, the only realistic option is to get a PC and put in two 8800 GTS 640's or better.

You'll be much better off with a 1920x1200 LCD, like the ACD 23" or the Dell 2407 or the new Dell 2707. That resolution has about half the pixels of a 2560 screen, and the radeon 1900 offered by Apple can handle the current generation of 3D games reasonably well.

You will regret getting a 30" LCD if your primary application is gaming.

That said, Dell is offering a superior product right now, and probably for the immediate future. In both the 2407WFP and the 3007WFP-HC, they are using a newer S-IPS panel than what Apple is using. It has the same fanastic color gamut, but (much) faster gtg and btb response times than Apple's offerings. Response time is the most important stat for a gaming monitor. Also, the viewing angle issues of the older S-PVA panels are gone since the Dells are using S-IPS now. They also have superior adjustable arms which allow you to set the height.

I said the Dell models are superior. I have yet to mention that the Dell displays are much cheaper than apple's - much cheaper. They've just recently lowered the price on both of the models I linked.

Dell displays are unquestionably the best deal with now for high end consumer LCD panels.

Edit: by the way, I have personal experience with both the ACD and the Dell 3007WFP-HC. Not only does the monitor have objectively better numbers, but subjectively, I think it's a nicer picture. I'm not the only one - everyone I know who's compared them likes the Dells better. I may seem adamant about this, but the Apple displays are something that bug me about Apple right now, along with RAM that costs twice the going market rate and harddrives that cost four times the going market rate. Don't pay $400 for a logo! No company is worth that.

10. nanvinnie macrumors regular

this thread has been very helpful. i've been going through the same process of looking for a new monitor. i just recently ordered the sr mbp and need a monitor to compliment. a friend of mine raised one issue with me. for 800-1000 dollars, wouldn't it be better just to buy an lcd tv? i'm not much of a techie so don't know the details surrounding this issue, but what are your thoughts?

11. kallun macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a similar struggle to decide (albeit for a smaller screen),

I have ordered the new MBP 15, 2.4 and plan on adding a new external display for use as dual monitoring.

I am a scientist and work mostly with high res images and in Illustrator etc. No TV watching/gaming.

At present I am considering the following monitors:

1) BenQ FP93G S - Flat - TFT - 19" - 1280 x 1024 - 300 cd/m2 - 800:1 - 5 ms - 0.294 mm - DVI, VGA (HD-15)

or

2) BenQ FP92W - Flat - TFT - 19" - widescreen - 1440 x 900 - 300 cd/m2 - 700:1 - 5 ms - 0.2835 mm - DVI, VGA (HD-15)

They are both priced well and seems good.

Can you please give me resons for choosing WS with 1440 x 900 vs. non-WS 1280 x 1024 or the opposite.

Also what are the other important aspects when choosing an external that is "not super pro".

Much appreciated!

/Kalle