Buying 1 Year Old Used MacBook Pro Need Input

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fusedbrain, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Fusedbrain macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've been hanging around these forums for a while waiting for the new MacBook Pro to be released. I'm making the switch to OSX. Been using windows since Windows 3.1

I was hoping to buy a brand new machine once they got updated but I've been waiting since xmas and I've decided that I'm just going to buy a used one. I'm thinking of buying a 2.4 or 2.66 that's about a year old or so. From my research on the web of sites like Craigslist and ebay I can pick up a decent 2.4 for around 1300-1400 or a 2.6 for a bit more. My stipulation is that it has to have the most recent black back-light keyboard and the 9600GT video card. I'd like to get a 15" with a express card slot if possible.

I'm planning on using it for a year or so then selling it to buy whatever is out at the time. I'll lose a few hundred dollars at the most (I hope). I just can't justify buying a $2000 machine that is basically the same as what was out a year ago when I can buy a used one for $600 less. Especially that I know a update is going to happen in the next month or so. Here is a link to what I'm considering.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.4-aluminum-15-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

The machine will be used for browsing, emails, music and light use of logic pro.

I'm going to be buying this in the next few days and I was hoping to hear some constructive feedback. Maybe I'm missing something that you could point out to me.

Thanks,

Fusedbrain

2. JosX macrumors regular

I very nearly did the same thing as you, but at the last minute decided to see if any of the latest models were available for a similar price, I was looking at the express card 2.4 15" with the 9600M GT, but then found a current gen 2.8 15" with 512mb 9600M GT for £50 more. Don't go thinking the newer ones are hugely more expensive used.

3. Fusedbrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Other Options I Was Thinking About

Thanks for the input.

I was also considering a used MacBook Pro with a 8600GT. I know it doesn't have the same keyboard but the used prices were good. My only problem is that the 8600GT cards are faulty and doomed to fail at some point. I understand that apple will fix them but will they do that for a 3-4 year old machine?

Anyhow there are lot's of options out there, just wondering what the best bang for the buck is.

Fusedbrain

4. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I don't really recommend you to buy any Used MBP which is older than 12 Months old because you can't get Apple care, and especially with MBP's i'd get Apple care since almost any fix is very expansive, Better wait for the new MBPs or just don't buy it, I'd say you are risking a lot

5. Fusedbrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Are MacBook Pro's that prone to failure? Or is it like anything else, luck of the draw.

Fusedbrain

6. poblack macrumors regular

I did the same thing as you. I initally wanted the 15" 2.4 express card MBP but I ended up buying a refurb 2.53 current model for $1499. I get a 1 year warranty.

I think you will be good but be careful with Craigslist. I tried going that route but there were so many scammers, shadiness, and hassles trying to get one before the seller sold it that it just wasn't worth it.

7. Fusedbrain thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in Canada so I was looking at refurbished units on apple.ca and for a model with the 9600M video card I'm looking at 1799 +tax so 2038. And that's for the model with 256mb 9600M. I would still save compared to a new one but I'm seriously considering getting a used one to save 400 or so.

But the risk is buying a lemon with expensive repair costs. I could also end up with a perfectly working machine. It's a gamble. It just bothers me to spend that kind of money on a new/refurbished computer with last years technology . Used MacBook Pro's seem to hold their value pretty good. So that's a consolation.

Fusedbrain

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Apple Computers don't have that much of an upgrade from model to model. When I got my Powerbook G4 1.25Ghz it was the high end Mac. The model that replaced it had a bigger HD, more ram, and iSight camera. I have an external iSight Camera and can install more RAM.

I got another MBP 15.4 2.53Ghz 2008 Unibody. Comparing it to the current 2.53GHz Unibody, both comes with 4GB of RAM. After I priced the cost of adding RAM, I decided to go with a 08 unibody. Mine came with 2 video cards and more cache which is a big bonus since it was priced $200 below the current MBP. The same video cards that are in the current MBP and more HD space. So, you can't really say it's not the latest when there isn't really much difference between the two.

I went the Apple store online vs Craigslist because I could return/exchange my refurbish MBP to any Apple Store if I wasn't satisfied and get something else. The SD slot is nice but it's not something I would use on a daily bases. You can buy a SD card reader for as little as $2. My MBP looked brand new when I got it from the refurb store. No scratches. No signs of wear and tear. I've used both 08 & 09 Unibodies, and there isn't a real big difference in the two. (see pic) My 08 on right and clients 09 on left.

[​IMG]

I also liked that it came with a DVD Copy of Snow Leopard so that I can have the option of using Leopard/SL. Having the option of removing the battery is another plus. The only issue I had was that it came with a Glossy screen. Both my other Macs are matte/non-glossy and I had to adjust my eyes working on this GLossy LCD screen. The Apple Store genius said if it still bothered me that I could exchange it for something else.

And quiet honestly I don't see a huge difference in the dual video cards. But it was my deciding factor of getting a high end MBP. Comparing the video on the low end MBP (2.53GHz) vs high end MBP (2.66GHz) images/video looked a lot sharper.

Apple Refub store sold the 2.4Ghz for $1299 US. When you add 4GB of RAM, you would save $30 vs getting 09 2.53GHz MBP refurb. If the model on craiglist is still eligible for AppleCare then I would consider it, only if the is no issues with it. Check the keypad, every connection including the power supply.

9. fox777 macrumors regular

fox777

Lol. I should have sold my MBP to you. I sold Brand New MBP 15' 2.55Ghz for $1450 about 2 months ago

10. mac-matt macrumors member

keep an eye on the refurb site. im always a little leery of buying off ebay or craigslist. you never know forsure what your getting.