Buying 15 Inch MBP from Amazon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yustas, May 17, 2010.

1. yustas macrumors regular

It seems like a great deal; no taxes, free shipping. The total price comes out cheaper than buying from Apple with a student discount, but do they sell a lot of them? The reason I ask is because I think it is better to get one from a "fresh" stack, you know, the one that was recently made. What do you guys think?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

An issue with buying from resellers like Amazon is that you can have an issue if the system arrives DOA or with problems. Buy from Apple and it gets replaced on the spot. Buy from Amazon or MacMall or the others and you may have to send it back to them first. And they might not simply replace something that has a problem they often insist that you send it to their repair center first.

To me, saving the money isn't worth the hassle if there's a problem.

3. unamused macrumors 6502

i dont know about those other stores, but amazon's return policy is TOP notch.

I would not consider returns an issue with amazon. In fact, its better then apples return policy. 30 days (amazon) vs 15 days (apple)

my only problem is they dont have the 15" i7 with the hires.

4. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I have returned ASUS laptop to Amazon without any issues.

5. loganwhy macrumors newbie

I purchased my 15 i5 from Amazon and it should be delivered tomorrow. I am using a free month trial of Amazon Prime and that is supposed to be fantastic for returns and shipping. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me but I can't really comment on how "fresh" the hardware is. I'll let you know if it doesn't arrive in tip top shape.

6. machiabelly macrumors newbie

I know people that got their macbooks from Amazon and are happy they did. Even with next day shipping it comes out cheaper because of no tax. I kinda wish I did, but mine was a bit of an impulse buy :D

7. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

It all depends on how much money you will save. I just ordered 2 Macbook Pros from Tekserve in New York and I saved about $125 off list on each one, plus no tax and free shipping. So total savings was more like around $250 each. For that much savings, I'll take the risk of having to send it back to them if there is a problem.

8. wo0ng macrumors newbie