Buying 15" late 2011 Macbook Pro??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iphone4sinwhite, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

I'm planning to purchase a late 2011 Macbook Pro. Although they are missing some features (usb 3.0, Ivy Bridge, etc.) they are a few hundred less than the current 15 inch machines. I noticed that a few online vendors still sell them. I'd like to ask a few questions before my purchase:

1. Do the late 2011 machines have the same warranty as the new (mid 2012) machines?

2. I'm looking for a machine with specific features (large res matte screen, 1 GB graphics card), where can I find a list of the specific model numbers that would specify these features?

3. Other than OS X 10.7 instead of 10.8, are there any software issues that will arise from purchasing a few month old but still new machine?

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. As long as it's an apple authorized reseller, you'll get the same warranty as the new models. Same goes for apple's online refurbed store.

2. Apple refurb store. Find the one with the features you want, then look for the model number.

3. Recent machines purchased from the apple retail store will qualify for the up to date feature to get 10.8 for free. I honestly can't think of any issues softwarewise.

3. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you find the model number on Apple's refurb site?

I'm considering either the MD318 (late 2011), MD322 (late 2011), or MC723 (early 2011). How does Apple or a retailer denote if one is equiped with the hi-res screen; is the model number somehow changed? I'd lov to know the exact model number of this guy: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0M18LL/A

Does the hi-res glossy screen have a silver suround or only the matte finish hi-res screen?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The model number is in the last few characters of the URL.

G0M18LL/A

I believe that indicates it is a non-standard build to order configuration.

----------

Also, here are the refubished models you're looking for.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD322LL/A

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD318LL/A

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC723LL/A

On refurbished models, Apple replaces the first character of the model number with an "F"(unless of course, it's a refurbished BTO as seen above).

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Silver bezel is high def matte.

6. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

these questions can be easily answered if you search it.

its all apple stuff, and is covered under warrenty

7. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an external hard drive that I use to backup my current PC. Can I plug this into the Mac and move data back and forth without problems?

Some of the math software I use is only written for PCs. I plan to purchase Windows 7 to run in boot camp and fusion/parallels. What version of Windows 7 is best for this? Can a single copy (one product code) be installed both in boot camp and an emulator?

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. Yes, but the drive may have to be reformatted to mac osx extended.

2. Can't help you on what version of win7 to buy (I use xp for one app for my job, and damned if I'm going to give M$ any more money unless I HAVE to.) but a single code can be used. Set up bootcamp first and your virtualization software can use that.

9. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your help guys. Microcenter ( I love their service and prices) had the dm385 (2.5 ghz, anti glare, 750 gb, Radeon 6770, etc) on sale for 1599 brand new (reg. 2099). It was a no brainier as the same machine refurbished on Apple's website is 1679. Apple emailed me letting me know I qualify for 10.8(are there still battery concerns with this?). I'll be purchasing windows 7 to take advantage of the 4 gb (eventually 8 gb) of ram. Now comes the grueling task of installing all my windows software. My wife loves the camera faces but not the sharp edges on her wrists. Oh well, I'm very happy.

Again, thanks for all the good advice.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The machine will take up to 16gb of ram, though Apple doesn't admit it....

11. icewing macrumors 6502

If you're concerned about battery issues, go ahead and DOWNLOAD ML but just don't install it yet - IIRC there is a 1 month window for the free upgrade.

Also, http://www.everymac.com is a GREAT place for information about Macs.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

13. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Not all macs have the battery issue with ML. My late 2011 MBP seems to have better battery with ML, i guess it depends on luck.

14. donklaus macrumors member

Compare specs against those refurbs carefully - i just bought the same $1599 machine. It has processor, hard drive and screen upgrades (high-res anti-glare) over the standard model. The $2,099 would have been MicroCenter's latest price before the current closeout sale. My machine would have sold for full price at $2,600-plus. Helluva deal.

15. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

This is not the only great deal from Micro Center lately. I'm going to pick up Windows 7 Home from them tonight; their price is again surprisingly better than Amazon.

Is it best to install 10.8 before setting up windows in boot camp and than an emulator?

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yes.

17. isolentmink macrumors newbie

which microsoft 7?

Hi - I also bought the $1,599 Macbook Pro from Mico Center. Which Windows 7 do you recommend buying? All I need the operating system for is so I can run Excel (windows version) to work from home. Thanks!!

18. SlyMac macrumors 6502

I bought win7 pro from microcenter when I picked up one of their late 2011 pros on sale. It was on sale for 120 I think. If all you need to do is excel then either basic or home premium would work fine. I'd still go with home premium though and it shouldn't be more than 100 for the oem disk.

19. ET3SW macrumors member

Exactly what he said. Make sure you ask for a OEM disk it is much cheaper. They normally keep them in a bin in the system builders section(at least in the Houston store)