Buying 15" PB, need advice.

Azrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
117
0
hi, I'm off to Uni on the 17th September. I want to buy a 15"PB with an iPod colour screen. In the UK, the Student Union deal ends on the 8th October. In the macrumors buyer's guide the PowerBook line is expected to be updated soon. Does anyone have any idea if the updates will come before or after the 17th of September?
 

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
853
2
At the Airport. UK
hi azrel,


many rumors on these boards point to the possibility of there being powerbook updates in september, at the mac expo in paris. this is towards the end of september.

however, many think that any updates that the expo will bring will be very minor, and the current 15" powerbook is a fantastic machine for the price....and i am not lying about this, because i bought one last week for uni puposes also.

if you need it for the start of term, get it now, but if you are prepared to wait longer for updates that have a 50/50 chance of showing up at that expo, then do so. it depends on your balance between need/want.

the truth is, nobody knows for sure, ecept steve jobs and his crew. :D

i also took advantage of the student union deal, and got a 4GB green ipod mini. im expecting delivery of all this stuff as early as next week.

remember, the current powerbooks are killer machines!!!! especially the 15" and 17", if you were considering the 12" i would have told you to think again.

remember, if by freak chance the powerbooks get majorly updated :eek: then expect long lead times for delivery, so you may miss out on the student union deal (mail in rebate by the 8th, as you say) and it may leave you at uni without a powerbook for longer than expected :eek:

hope i have been a help

tastic
 

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
289
0
check the past news announcements for speculation on the new PB's in Sept. I'd wait as long as you can (if you need it now get it), but don't miss your student union deal, its not worth waiting for a few new specs and missing the bargain
 

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
1,360
505
All speculation even at this point, but this is normal for Apple :rolleyes: . I do expect to see something at the Paris expo (sept 24) for the PowerBook. However, whether you should wait or not is an entirely different question. I think Apple will have to release something to keep up with the iBook. Not in terms of performance/feature separation necessarily, but rather just to put out something fresh and new. Doesn't even matter what it is. And since they will be selling these new PowerBooks for less than a year, I think that there is VERY LITTLE chance of anything big here. Remember, Apple is a business first, a high-end computer manufacturer second. That means that whatever they release must be cost effective for them. I just can't see a big chip upgrade that would undoubtedly force another redesign happening when their R&D team is already going full out on the intels. They have to divide the cost of development over every 'Book sold. So a minor bump wouldn't cost much, and could be expected. But I don't think a big upgrade would be possible.

As for buying, I recommend to buy now. Sure, I wouldn't buy sept. 23 or even sept. 20, but I really dont think you'll be missing out now. How do I prove this? Well, I already put my money where my mouth is. I recently bought a refurb 15" PB which arrived on the 18th. Go for it!
 

Azrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
117
0
Ok I've decided to buy now. I'm going to get the 15" Combo and an iPod 20GB. I'm just wondering, do Higher Eductation Institutions get a better percentage off than the normal education discount? Is it worth me giving Apple a phone and asking them about this, and what they can do for me?

Thanks for your advice :D
 

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
1,360
505
Azrel said:
Ok I've decided to buy now. I'm going to get the 15" Combo and an iPod 20GB. I'm just wondering, do Higher Eductation Institutions get a better percentage off than the normal education discount? Is it worth me giving Apple a phone and asking them about this, and what they can do for me?

Thanks for your advice :D
Congratulations! Definitely give them a call. Why not, its worth 5min of your day for a possible savings. Buy in a store if possible, it just makes things easier (not to mention instant gratification). You will definitely enjoy this machine!
 

Azrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
117
0
Ok I just phoned up, the Higher Edu discount is much better, saved about £120 there. :) Thanks again guys, I'll soon be a mac user :)
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.