Buying 15" rMBP from Craigslist, what to look for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moshe1010, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

All the talks about IR and lag made be a bit OCD about this. I'm looking only for Samsung display, so how to check if it doesn't have IR or lag and everything is OK with it?

2. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Don't worry about that; it'll still be under warranty, so you can get Apple to replace it if its very noticeable.

3. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

make sure it's not stolen, otherwise when you connect online, it can be remotely lock and you could potentially end up with an expensive brick!
    i'm not sure if apple with help you with that, since that is considered a stolen item, and you can't reinstall the os either because the firmware is lock as well. just be careful.

ask the seller to log into his/her apple online account and unregister the laptop from his/her account and you log into your account and register it with the serial number found on the mac itself, if it doesn't let you register it then its probably register to someone else and not the seller.

4. Moshe1010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's going to be in Apple Store. I want them to check it before buying, and the seller agreed. Is there any way to check lag when scrolling or IR?

5. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

leave checkerboard image on for 10 - 15 mins.. then check against grey background..

6. Moshe1010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I saw this one. But how useful is it in real life? I won't put a check board image for 10-15 minutes out there just for fun. Where else I can notice IR?

7. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

This is an extreme test.. if you don't notice it here, you won't notice it anywhere else.. which is why it's used by everyone.. :)

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Unless you only plan on using it for a few months, or if your time is free, I can't think of a single reason to buy from Craigslist or EBay.

The risks you take are too numerous to mention.

9. Moshe1010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Risks, such as?

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm not being evasive, but they are simply too numerous to list. After twenty years, I've heard & seen it all. Believe me, I have nothing to gain or lose. Nor am I against these two sources.

But you are talking about an expensive laptop that's rated as the hardest & most expensive to repair. Any money you think you maybe saving on the purchase price has a high likelihood of evaporating if there's a problem.

The _only_purpose for posting is to help you avoid a huge financial mistake.

11. Moshe1010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand and I appreciate your concern. But how a laptop that has 10 more months of warranty can go wrong? In addition, I'm bringing the laptop to the store so they could check it and register it under my account before giving any money to the seller. I can go extreme and purchase AppleCare, but I think it's a waste of money since I'm changing laptops every year or so.

12. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Applecare on a laptop is not a waste of money, even if you are selling up after a year, as it will add value and help on the resale (esp if you sell after the year is up and the option is gone), and laptops have higher failure rates than other items.

Buy it from B&H photo in NY for the cheapest, I think 240 right now for the Retina.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582543-REG/Apple_MC247LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_15.html

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I'll play devils advocate here:
    Just a scenario, but I've seen laptops take water damage and be dried out enough to run, only to suffer catastrophic failure later on. That's not under the realm of warranty.

Not that I'd ever do it to someone, but keep in mind it only has to run long enough for the $ to change hands. And Apple will not flag a stolen laptop in their system, so meeting in the store means little.

Those said, I've seen nice machines with no issues go at lowball prices on CL, usually by someone that overspent and needs rent, etc. Problem with that is that's like 1 of 10.

Going scam around here seems to be buy low, load with pirated software and sell high.