Buying 1g iphone off craigslist. help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DarkFlame, Jul 18, 2008.

1. DarkFlame macrumors regular

Any tips or suggestions on what to immediately check when I see the phone before buying it? Its an 8gb for 300 bucks, 2.5 months old in excellent condition but she has no receipt. Comes with all box accessories except headphones/usb cable.

2. yode macrumors 6502

make sure it works, put your sim in and see if it works. (assuming its unlocked)

3. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Make sure its not a stolen phone. Insist you take it to ATT store and have it activated on your line before you pay.

Why? Because stolen phones esn #'s are frozen on the system and will
    not be allowed to be activated. EVER. I used to work for cell phone carrier.

4. Yaoooo84 macrumors newbie

sounds like a decent price. I sold my 1G phone for $400 on CL. Before I sold my phone I sent it in to Apple for repair and they gave me back a refurbished phone, no scratches or blemishes etc...perfect condition. Just make sure it works by putting in your sim card and making a call. If that works then you shouldnt have any problems...

5. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Make sure she's hot, hot girls don't lie.

6. DarkFlame thread starter macrumors regular

Is there anyway I can just call in with the number to see if its stolen or not?

7. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

You could call AT&T customer service and give them the IMEI number and see if they have any information on it. Lots of people lose their receipts for things - I don't think that's necessarily a red flag.

But I think you could get a feel from the seller first about whether it's stolen or not - see if she's knowledgeable about using it or not, or if she seems sketchy in any way.

Also, most of the accounts of lost/stolen iPhones here and other forums have not stated anything about AT&T locking the IMEI so it can't be used on their network at all. Despite what a previous poster said, I don't think AT&T does this, and the iPhone should continue to work even if it is stolen (though I still wouldn't recommend you buy it if that's what you think after meeting the seller).

8. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yeah, definitely meet in a very public place. Since you'll most likely be carrying cash.

Give it a test run...and I think contacting at&t with the imei is a fantastic idea. :D

9. DarkFlame thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, I guess I will have ATT's number ready. I wish there was a way I could check by the serial number if it was under warranty at apple. Anyone know if I can just call the mac store and have them check to make sure its really 2.5 months old.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

make sure it's an actual iPhone. the counterfeits are getting pretty sophisticated, down to copying the icons and box art.

11. DarkFlame thread starter macrumors regular

anything specific thats a give away for a fake i should look for?

12. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

There is a way to do it online: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

See if the seller can send you the serial number before you meet, or do it while you're meeting her and can see the serial number yourself...

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

go to an apple store, play with a real one for 20 min. a fake will be unmistakeable after that.

14. dave006 macrumors 68020

Interesting but sorry, this is not true in the US. There is no "Blacklisting" of IMEI of phones. I wish it was true but the only thing that AT&T wil do is block the SIM so that you are no longer responsible for the voice / data usage.

15. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

go with at LEAST 2-3 friends. just in case she brings along some friends of her (or his) own.

16. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

You just can't go wrong with that kind of reasoning...:D

17. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

Half true. Verizon Wireless and Sprint do blacklist ESN/MEID's, at&t and T-Mobile do not blacklist IMEI's.

18. cdinca macrumors 6502

What does that leave? The cloth?

19. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

don't forget the Finger Tips ;)

:D