Buying 1st laptop, considering Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by librarianMLS, Oct 16, 2008.

1. librarianMLS macrumors newbie

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer and please be kind. . . I'm a non-techie who uses her computer for casual internet use, organizing photos, and playing games. My husband may want to use it for his music- recording, burning CDs, etc.

I'm attracted to the Apple products because they supposedly require very little maintenance. BUT, I am concerned about pricing. Value is important to me and when I simply compare specs the PC is a lot more attractive. If I stuck with PC I also wouldn't have to relearn what little computing skills I have.

And I'll be honest- I like the pretty colors of my PC options!

Having said all that, I have been told by the head of IT where I work that since I'm basically an idiot I should buy an Apple. I'm not sure why he needed to tell me that since HE uses exclusively Apple at home and it appears he thinks both idiotic and intelligent people should use Macs. . . but there you go.

Thanks again for your help.

2. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

There isn't really a great deal to relearn. Most things are fairly similar - it's usually the hardcore PC users that get a little stressed when switching to Mac. Everything is set out fairly logically on a Mac - you'll be comfortable in no time.

The cheapest laptop Apple do now is the white Macbook. As your not a power user, this one will be perfect for your needs. My girlfriend's mum still uses her Core Duo model that came out around 2 and a half years ago and it still has more power than she'll ever need.

Do you have an Apple Store near you? They are a good place to go and have a fiddle with the computers so you can have a better idea of the pros and cons.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Its a learning curve of about a day or two, after that you'll be flying away. If you know Windows you will easily pick up Mac.

If you don't think the price is worth it then theres nothing we can really say or do to convince you, other than you show you the customer satisfaction rates (nearly 90% vs. 60% for the PC).

4. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

a good thing about mac is that it just works.
    youd be surprised on how quickly you adapt to the new environment you put yourself in. Things that were once a complex function on a certain operating system is a lot more simpler on a mac.

when it comes to surfering the web, sharing photos, and doing basic everyday things, a mac is a great companion.

and if anything ever goes wrong with your macbook, you can always take it up to the apple store and have a genius look at it for you. so the maintence is taken care of!

the apple community is a wonderful place to be in. the majority of all things heard, is that apple takes care of the customer.

5. librarianMLS thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, there are four stores in my city. I'll head over this weekend. Thanks!