Buying 1st Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBallin22, Jun 9, 2011.

1. MacBallin22 macrumors member

Hey everyone

I'm buying my first macbook and was wondering how I should go about it. I use to buy my pcs over the phone and sometimes got better deals doing that then ordering it online. Is that similar for Apple? How can I get the best deal? Just wondering and thanks for the responses.

Cheers

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Where do you live? Which MacBook do you want to buy?

Generally speaking, the educational discounts direct from Apple are very competitive. Amazon has excellent pricing and most buyers don't pay sales tax.

3. dslrjunky macrumors regular

microcenter
    apple refurb online
    back2school discount, but apple is still mum about if those back2school program will be back or not..

how you should go about? it is up to you online, in-store or over the phone.. even at a back alley from a guy with a white van... ;)

4. MacBallin22 thread starter macrumors member

I live in Cleveland, OH and im looking to get the 13 mbp Core i5 model

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd buy it at microcenter. It will only cost $999 in store, which is the best deal I have seen anywhere. There is one in the Cleveland area as well.

6. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

You could go to the refurb section of the apple store where you will get new computers for a bit less than brand new.

Cheers, Macjim.

7. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

+1 This is where I got mine. Best deal I could find.

8. MacBallin22 thread starter macrumors member

microcenter?

9. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

10. rex450se macrumors regular

I purchased mine at the closest Apple store but had them price match Micro Center and they had no problem doing it. I like the Apple store experience better but would have gone to whoever had it cheapest if they wouldn't price match. Apple Care covers it as long as it is purchased from an Authorized reseller so buying from Micro Center isn't an issue there.

Victor

11. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Apple never do discounts over the phone just because you're talking to someone in person. As others have mentioned, there are a number of educational discounts available, or buy refurb. Other retailers may have special promotional prices on the laptop, and check out Amazon, you might make a saving on the sales tax in the US.