Buying 2 notebooks with education discount?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthewHUB, Jan 27, 2008.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Hi guys.... just wondering if anyone has tried buying more than the 'allocated' machines for the education discount. What happens if you try to buy two?

M

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Check with Apple...they're who offer the discount. My guess is that you'll only get it on one of them.

3. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

obviously i'd buy them separately... would it show up though when you tried to buy the 2nd?

4. kming05 macrumors member

it worked for me, purchased two laptops through separate transactions on the same day and it went through just fine.

i think it also depends on what school you go to though, because i know for some schools they lead you straight to their campus computer store, and for those you might have issues. luckily, mine didnt.

5. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

cool. thanks. might buy from different stores to make sure...

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Here in the UK, I've many friends who've used the EDU discount, and they've never ever been verified.

Hell, in 2005, I bought two Xserves through the UK-HE store without so much as a bat of an eyelid from Apple.

7. kming05 macrumors member

i bought from apple.com actually, not from an actual retail

8. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Well, when I bought my iMac, I flashed my student ID and it went through. I don't know how they track this stuff to be honest.

You could probably get away with it imo. The rule is there to stop abusers buying 10 machines and reselling them or buying them for family/friends etc.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah similar over here. My first order through the Irish Edu store was verified with a student card, but since then (5 years or so ago) I buy all my stuff through the Edu store and last year we bought 4 laptops alone.

Besides I think the figure you actually save is only about 7/8% here, so hardly big savings, unlike the UK-HE store savings which are much higher but we can't get them over here.

I just ordered a MBA via Edu store was 1699, with discount ended up 1597 - not a considerable saving at all, but still.

10. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

my UK-HE purchases have always been through the website* because the discount is far, far better.

* only accessible from a UK institutional network.