Buying 2011 13in Air - not sure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andrewlgm, Jan 23, 2012.

1. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

I'm considering buying the fully loaded macbook air 1.8 i7 with 4GB Ram and 256GB SSD.

I currently own a white unibody macbook 2.26 core 2 duo from 2009, with 8GB ram and an SSD, and with a reasonable 5 to 7 hour battery life, but I find that carrying it around all the time is killing my back.

Is this a good upgrade? Even 3 years later the macbook air still offers only 7 hours. How appreciable would the increase be to an i7 from a core 2 duo 2.26 and the air's faster internals? Should I wait for ivy bridge and USB 3 and maybe a faster processor and longer battery? Is the 4GB ram on the air enough for computing in the next couple of years? I really want to buy a new computer that will last me at least 4 to 6 years.

I definitely don't need to upgrade at this instant, but I really want to.

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

What sort of applications do you use? What do you use your computer for? Etc.

3. andrewlgm thread starter macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

I use my mac for DVD ripping. I have almost all of my DVD collection (more than 200 DVDs) in mp4 format in external hard drives. Music, writing and some light photo editing with aperture. I find that handbreak takes a while on my current unibody white macbook. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Air has no optical drive.

5. andrewlgm thread starter macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

i also have an external drive so that's not a problem, I do most ripping at home not while traveling so it's not a big deal.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Then the Air is not the answer - you're more likely to get that kind of life from a Pro, but even that is stretching it to get 6 years . . .