Buying 2015 rMBP from eBay, registration with Apple and any issues in the process?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krishmk, Oct 30, 2016.

1. krishmk macrumors 6502

I have no use or inclination to buy the 2016, so I am planning to buy the older rMBP15" from eBay. I have found couple which are in my price point and have the AppleCare for next 2 yrs.

With ios10, there was an issue with activation of phones if they are still under previous owners name/account. I am not sure if that will apply to rMBP but was wondering how I can activate the AppleCare and move this Mac to my account?

Any help or insight on this process is appreciated.

2. krishmk thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Well, a couple of nights ago I spoke with an Apple person by phone about an open box iPad I had bought from Best Buy; wondering about the transfer of Applecare coverage to me if the previous user had already registered the iPad. He said that Applecare coverage is not based on the name of the user, but on the serial number of the product. So, despite the possibility that someone else had previously registered the iPad, the Applecare on it would just continue based on the ID of the item itself. He also said that, in the worst case, I could always purchase my own Applecare for the iPad. I hope this helps to answer your question. Regards.

4. krishmk thread starter macrumors 6502

This answers the first question of AppleCare, now the 2nd question of this rMBP on the old owners account. I have heard horror stories on iPhones that cannot be activated with ios10. Any reason this can happen with rMBP's too?

5. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Sorry, don't know. Call Apple Support and ask them directly.

6. wegster macrumors 6502

Ensure prior owner deregisters the device, unregisters from iCloud, iTunes, etc. and you're good. (Yes, have purchased and sold a few MB and Pros on eBay).
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065