Buying 2016 Macbook Pro with US keyboard in Japan

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hexley, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Hexley, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

Hexley macrumors 6502a

Hi!

I am visiting Tokyo in late November and by that time I expect the 2016 MBP to become available through retail.

I want to buy it there as it is $100 cheaper than the US Apple Store and visitors/tourists can buy it tax-free.

Is it possible to buy them with a US keyboard and have it BTO for 16GB of RAM?

2. Denumerable macrumors member

Denumerable

It is. I live in Japan and you can pretty much get any US model here. Just pre-purchase your BTO and ship to your address here in Japan.

3. cavs28 macrumors newbie

Quick question, I'm also going to be heading to Japan and hope to grab one while I'm there. What do you mean by BTO? I have no clue what it is.

4. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

BTO - Built to Order. With Apple, BTO options are things like adding more RAM or a bigger hard drive, etc. Things that are optional for a price.

Mecha

5. Denumerable macrumors member

Denumerable

FYI - the branch nearest to me carries base models right now. I think you'll have almost no trouble picking up a base model.

Check http://www.istocknow.com to track inventory of base machines.

6. Hanasshe macrumors newbie

Hi I’m visiting japan from UK and would like to buy a refurbished MacBook Pro with western keyboard- best place to look?
    Thanks

7. Denumerable macrumors member

Denumerable

Mercari or Yahoo auctions

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

9. DragonJade macrumors 6502

Sofmap in Shinjuku almost always has second hand US keyboard Apple laptops. There are loads of Sofmaps you could try looking at.
    https://www.sofmap.com/

10. Louis-9876 macrumors newbie

Hi, do you think it’s possible To buy a MacBook pro With UK keyboard in a Tokyo Apple store? Or just US keyboard.

11. DragonJade macrumors 6502

The last time I was there and asked, which was quite a few years ago, they didn't have the UK keyboard in stock, only US. However, if you're going to be in Tokyo a while, you could ask them to order it in. Failing that, you could always try ordering online/on the phone and see if they'll deliver to where you're staying.

I just had a quick look online. Delivery for a UK keyboard Macbook Pro is estimated to be six to eight days.

12. Louis-9876 macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply! I will be in Tokyo/Japan for 6 weeks, so i will order a MBP the first week in an Apple store and pick it up there.

13. DragonJade macrumors 6502

No problem. Don't forget you can get 8% sales tax back. If they don't do it in-store, then you should be able to get it back at the airport. I'd recommend ditching the box before you get on the plane as if Customs see it in the UK, they'll likely add duty and tax on it. You won't need to take the box with you to the airport. They'll just look at the serial number on the machine, if they bother checking at all.

14. Louis-9876 macrumors newbie

Ok good to know. Hopefully there will be a mbp2018 in june, but the 2017 15” is also perfect for the next 3 years...