Buying 24" cinema display, fonts ok for readin or too small?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by applecultvictim, Apr 7, 2009.

1. applecultvictim macrumors 6502a

Do you guys think I can use the 24" cinema display for surfing, reading, writing and feel ok without it feeling that everything is small font wise and crammed? Can I customize it well so that everything scales up accordingly or even use it in a non native resolution?

2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Dont take this as a rude question but, how old are you? Cause that makes a difference. Also your vision.

Another question, how far are you sitting from it? From everything ive seen and played with from thr 24", ive myself had no problem with it. Text look large enough and crisp.

3. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey. Prelude I m 30 but I have a hard time with lcd, they tire my eyes and give me headaches. Hence I am looking for a good choice to buy. Thanks for the help I appreciate it a lot!

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I may be wrong but, I think most 24" displays are around the same pixel density? If anything, they're becoming more dense (i'd guess my 23" ACD is about 100 PPI) so things will be smaller on screen, until we have true resolution independence.

5. rhyx macrumors 6502

I wouldn't buy a 24" LCD unless I planned to use it at the native resolution. I don't think it is too small. The pixel density is slightly higher than your standard 19" LCD though.

6. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well whenever my eyes get tired from reading I simply increase the font size by using the cmd +, cmd -, and cmd 0

Or if you are on a multi-touch trackpad, spread your fingers apart gesture will do the same.

7. SLR2009 macrumors regular

I've got a 24" LED Apple Cinema Display and I am sensitive to small fonts as well but have no issues with the size of the text on this monitor. I do wish that dpi scaling was enabled on OS X but the fonts are still large enough for my eyes.

I hope that we see dpi scaling in Snow Leopard though. A 30" monitor would probably have fonts too tiny but a 24" monitor seems to be the perfect size. If the text is too small for you then you can increase the size of the text on your browser which is what I do.

For some people, the text may be a bit too tiny so If you're concerned then you can go into a store that has them on display and play with it a bit.

8. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great replies guys. You make this community so helpful. Thanks.