Buying 24" extreme and remove glass option!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by expand, Nov 5, 2008.

1. expand macrumors newbie

I'm searching for a solution to the glass covers on the iMac and have been through the usual trawl of mud and trash.

Since I've become aware of the glass being held on with magnets, and can easily be removed ....
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w9gVDH-7d34

Can anyone out there let me know if the LCD underneath is any less protected than the original imac screens (with no glass cover)?
    :eek:

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

And if people could take it of to find a MATTE screen....?

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Nothing like spending $2000 on a computer and then hacking it apart... :confused:

4. ryan.hayes79 macrumors member

Hi,

The iMac glass screen is easily removeable and you are correct it only is held on by magnets as I have done this myself.

I am unsure if the screen behind is any less protected but it is still glossy.

Hope this helps!

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its just a normal matte display. but why would you wanna remove the glass? it will look incomplete and ugly. BTW did that guy say that its polycarbonate and not glass?

6. ryan.hayes79 macrumors member

I can confirm that the screen is NOT matt if you remove the glass.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So glass on glossy? That's horrid!

8. TheHoff macrumors 6502

It is just the screen. Matte is a layer of etched plastic that sits OVER the screen and disperses the reflections (and slightly blurs the pixels). So if you remove the glass, there is no matte layer, just the screen.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Have you used the iMac? I've been using a 24" for video editing, the glossy screen is not a big deal...

10. expand thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek: with an axe you mean???

Nothing of the sort. I've been working with aluminium and acrylics for 20 years in product design. I would manufacture a gorgeous matt black fitting, less bulky than the printed glass affair (yes glass and NOT poly carbonate). Not strictly related but in fact I beat Apple to a punched armite sheet box by 8 years! (Mine was a lighting unit though). If I was at Apple ... I know, dream on.
    Answers are conflicting here. I've taken many LCD's apart during my career, they do vary from co. to co. and from year to year so there is no gold standard. This video indicates it could be less glossy than the glass cover...
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0o2WdrN3M
    Watch closely as the reflections dissappear when he moves the glass to one side.
    :rolleyes: