Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
After some more thinking, I am thinking of going ahead with getting a 2nd hand iPad Pro 12.9 inch, mainly because I can feel the strain of the iPad Air 1 and also wanting to evaluate a 12.9 inch iPad for my usage instead of smaller iPads; I have been wanting such a big tablet for years but also have to be aware of the possibility that it may not be for me in the long run.

Also, my recent experience with my handphone hinted to me at this move too. I had a barely working Sony Xperia Z3 Compact for months, could have waited longer for the Xperia XZ Premium but I decided to cut losses and traded in that Z3 Compact and paid for a Xperia XZs, which is serving me very well right now. This made me wonder if waiting for too long is worthwhile or not; one of the commentators on my Xperia situation commented that it may not be so and to also consider the amount of opportunities lost (in this context, he used the amount of handphone shots that he would have missed out had he continued waiting instead of just getting the then-new Xperia XZ)

Not helping that I want the iPad Air to be still in iOS 7.0 for legacy apps and jailbreak, while letting this 12.9 inch iPad be iOS 10 and upwards. The last thing I need is for this iPad Air to be damaged if I continue to use it due to well, Murphy's Law, forcing an upgrade to iOS 10 since the service centers here will do so as part of repair procedures, which means the iPad Air will lose its value further.

Anyway, I digress. The idea now is to get the 12.9 inch iPad reasonably cheap (which means below refurbished prices but yet still has its original packaging), use this to test out in real world settings the concept of using 12.9 inch iPad and then decide my next moves from there, which are:

a. Trade this in for the new 12.9 model coming out soon (or wait for the somewhat inevitable storage price drop before doing so)
b. Trade this in for the new 10.5 model coming out soon(or wait for the somewhat inevitable storage price drop before doing so)
c. Trade this in for the new 9.7 model coming out soon(or wait for the somewhat inevitable storage price drop before doing so)
d. Just simply use it until it spoils, assuming that the new models are not suitable (read: "brave" removal of the headphone jack)

The only concerns I can see are:

1. Lack of warranty and the inability of buying AppleCare for this iPad
2. Not sure how to check 2nd hand iPad, will need some advice here
3. Overall value worthiness of this move

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
After some more thinking, I am thinking of going ahead with getting a 2nd hand iPad Pro 12.9 inch, mainly because I can feel the strain of the iPad Air 1 and also wanting to evaluate a 12.9 inch iPad for my usage instead of smaller iPads; I have been wanting such a big tablet for years but also have to be aware of the possibility that it may not be for me in the long run.

Also, my recent experience with my handphone hinted to me at this move too. I had a barely working Sony Xperia Z3 Compact for months, could have waited longer for the Xperia XZ Premium but I decided to cut losses and traded in that Z3 Compact and paid for a Xperia XZs, which is serving me very well right now. This made me wonder if waiting for too long is worthwhile or not; one of the commentators on my Xperia situation commented that it may not be so and to also consider the amount of opportunities lost (in this context, he used the amount of handphone shots that he would have missed out had he continued waiting instead of just getting the then-new Xperia XZ)

Not helping that I want the iPad Air to be still in iOS 7.0 for legacy apps and jailbreak, while letting this 12.9 inch iPad be iOS 10 and upwards. The last thing I need is for this iPad Air to be damaged if I continue to use it due to well, Murphy's Law, forcing an upgrade to iOS 10 since the service centers here will do so as part of repair procedures, which means the iPad Air will lose its value further.

Anyway, I digress. The idea now is to get the 12.9 inch iPad reasonably cheap (which means below refurbished prices but yet still has its original packaging), use this to test out in real world settings the concept of using 12.9 inch iPad and then decide my next moves from there, which are:

a. Trade this in for the new 12.9 model coming out soon
b. Trade this in for the new 10.5 model coming out soon
c. Trade this in for the new 9.7 model coming out soon
d. Just simply use it until it spoils, assuming that the new models are not suitable (read: "brave" removal of the headphone jack)

The only concerns I can see are:

1. Lack of warranty and the inability of buying AppleCare for this iPad
2. Not sure how to check 2nd hand iPad, will need some advice here
3. Overall value worthiness of this move

What do you guys think?

1. You can check the warranty and easily buy one used in warranty for cheap (i just got mine on ebay for 775$ CAD for 128G 12.9")

2. checkcoverage.apple.com

3. I personally think its worth it. I will for sure upgrade to the Ipad pro 2 , once it becomes widely avail. used. Its always been a great move financially for me to stay behind a year or 2. Especially now since hardware is so fast it really outstrips my needs which is mostly Games , IT (terminal ect.) , travel , movies , music.

good luck

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
1. You can check the warranty and easily buy one used in warranty for cheap (i just got mine on ebay for 775$ CAD for 128G 12.9")

2. checkcoverage.apple.com

3. I personally think its worth it. I will for sure upgrade to the Ipad pro 2 , once it becomes widely avail. used. Its always been a great move financially for me to stay behind a year or 2. Especially now since hardware is so fast it really outstrips my needs which is mostly Games , IT (terminal ect.) , travel , movies , music.

good luck

1. Thanks, but from the way I am seeing it, most second-hand iPads sold here do not have warranty anymore. And no, I do not want to get from eBay, too uncomfortable with that.

2. Unfortunately, it is down right now, will check later or tomorrow. Are there any ways of checking an iPad physically and visually, especially when meeting the seller, in the meantime?

3. Thanks, I am starting to think so too after considering exactly why I need the iPad Pro (similar use case to yours)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

What do you guys think?
You've been wanting one for years and think it might not be for you in the long run?
That's a long span of time. The longer you want one without getting one the shorter that long run is going to be. ;)
Time is passing and no one is getting any younger.

(with the caveat that I'm speaking from a US market perspective... I don't know how things are in Singapore)

I never buy any Apple products used. I wait 3-6 months after they are released to allow bugs to be resolved and any manufacturing flaws from the pre-launch builds to be sold to early adopters. By that time there are usually sales available and that is the time that I'll buy, new. (at prices that are LESS than Apple's refurb pricing) Then I keep my devices for as long as they are functional (or hand it down to a family member) and don't get caught up in the excitement of the news of the next gen.

I bought my 12.9 iPP back in March 2016. Since iOS 10 was essentially nothing more than iOS 9 with an emoji pack, the iPP continues to eat up tasks without breaking a sweat. I anticipate it will continue to be a beastly tablet for another 1.5-2 years.

The unpredictability in Apple's product upgrade cycles is causing anxiety/worry for many. The fear of "missing out" (on some feature that will be introduced with the next model) is paralyzing them from buying something today. Does the product available today meet your requirements? If so, buy it at a good price. If not, then don't.

You've been wanting a larger tablet for years. Well, the 12.9 iPad Pro has been here for 1.5 years. It is, IMO, the best of the larger tablets. It's an iPad so you know what the iPad experience is like... only larger. Along with a Smart Cover, Apple Smart Keyboard, and an Apple Pencil it makes an outstanding tablet-centric experience. Nothing comes close, again IMO.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
You've been wanting one for years and think it might not be for you in the long run?
That's a long span of time. The longer you want one without getting one the shorter that long run is going to be. ;)
Time is passing and no one is getting any younger.

(with the caveat that I'm speaking from a US market perspective... I don't know how things are in Singapore)

I never buy any Apple products used. I wait 3-6 months after they are released to allow bugs to be resolved and any manufacturing flaws from the pre-launch builds to be sold to early adopters. By that time there are usually sales available and that is the time that I'll buy, new. (at prices that are LESS than Apple's refurb pricing) Then I keep my devices for as long as they are functional (or hand it down to a family member) and don't get caught up in the excitement of the news of the next gen.

I bought my 12.9 iPP back in March 2016. Since iOS 10 was essentially nothing more than iOS 9 with an emoji pack, the iPP continues to eat up tasks without breaking a sweat. I anticipate it will continue to be a beastly tablet for another 1.5-2 years.

The unpredictability in Apple's product upgrade cycles is causing anxiety/worry for many. The fear of "missing out" (on some feature that will be introduced with the next model) is paralyzing them from buying something today. Does the product available today meet your requirements? If so, buy it at a good price. If not, then don't.

You've been wanting a larger tablet for years. Well, the 12.9 iPad Pro has been here for 1.5 years. It is, IMO, the best of the larger tablets. It's an iPad so you know what the iPad experience is like... only larger. Along with a Smart Cover, Apple Smart Keyboard, and an Apple Pencil it makes an outstanding tablet-centric experience. Nothing comes close, again IMO.

Thanks, you have raised more points that I didn't consider

1. You are right, no one's getting younger. I'll have to decide soon and stop spending time fretting over this too much eh. And no, us Singaporeans have not found any way around that too! We do have a famous chain of hair loss reduction clinics here though! (see: https://yunnamhaircare.com.sg/ ) :p

2. I think you have a typo, shouldn't it be "I never buy any Apple products new."?

3. Yeah, I don't like the early adopter issues too. Thanks for reminding me the possibility of that! Sometimes these problems are not from Apple, for example some games won't work with the newly-released devices too; the developers will say that it may work but if there are problems, you will have to wait for patches or just grin and bear with it :)

4. 1.5 to 2 years should be fine for me if I am going by this path, I notice how these iPads can hold their value even after that said time period!

5. After reflecting on my situation and recent actions, I think why this unpredictability is causing such anxiety. It can be due to already wanting/needing a new iPad and wanting the "best value" out of this by just going for the new iPad straight.

6. "Does the product available today meet your requirements? If so, buy it at a good price. If not, then don't." I told people this sometimes, but can't believe that it should apply to me too until now. Talk about touche and irony at the same time...

7. You are right, I have been wanting it for years and it is been around for 1.5 years, which mean it is stable by now for current and future needs, accessory or not.

I guess this means I should take a look around and ask around about its stability and so on eh :)

Reactions: sracer

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I don't know if you meant that in a humorous way, but no, that isn't a typo. I never buy used Apple products.

Ah I see, I was being serious. I just am unsure how can you not buy used Apple products but also not buy them at launch. Took me a while (after posting) to figure out that you meant that you don't buy used Apple products as you prefer to buy new Apple products about 3 to 6 months after their launch

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Alright guys, I did it! Managed to get a 2nd hand iPad Pro at a decent price, it has 2 months warranty left according to the coverage website. It looks like brand new, will test it out over the week and see how it goes...

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I just recalled an old David Letterman joke. Problem with having sex on computers is that the keyboard leaves these funny squares all over your body...

Ah David Letterman, heard that his late night talks can be... interesting like this :D Not sure if possible to watch here though
[doublepost=1493177342][/doublepost]And I just realised the following:
1. The iPad is still on iOS 10.0.2
2. The iPad was listed by the shop on some online selling platforms for what looks like 26 weeks :O
3. Based on the warranty date and the shop's staff, the iPad was bought from Apple by its previous owner on end-June 2016

I wonder what to make out of these pieces of information lol

arrash

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
Marlborough, MA
Alright guys, I did it! Managed to get a 2nd hand iPad Pro at a decent price, it has 2 months warranty left according to the coverage website. It looks like brand new, will test it out over the week and see how it goes...
Congrats, indeed! I think you did the right thing. I was in the same situation as you but decided, like you, to get the second-hand one now. I ended up with a 128GB Space Gray Wifi+LTE model with Apple Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil, all original cables, box, everything for $700! Can't go wrong with that deal at all. Shop around, you'll find great deals. When the new 12.9" iPad Pro comes out, I won't feel bad buying this one as it will be around 1/2 the price of the new one. I won't be able to justify the 100% price increase when the current device does exactly what I need it to do so well.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Congrats, indeed! I think you did the right thing. I was in the same situation as you but decided, like you, to get the second-hand one now. I ended up with a 128GB Space Gray Wifi+LTE model with Apple Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil, all original cables, box, everything for $700! Can't go wrong with that deal at all. Shop around, you'll find great deals. When the new 12.9" iPad Pro comes out, I won't feel bad buying this one as it will be around 1/2 the price of the new one. I won't be able to justify the 100% price increase when the current device does exactly what I need it to do so well.

That's an insanely good deal there! Have fun with it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.