Buying 3G iPhone, currently have GoPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by viggen61, Jul 7, 2008.

1. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Ok, so I bought a refurbished phone a couple months ago from AT&T with the GoPhone plan, as an interim between my broken T-Mobile phone and the 3G.

I **think** I'm in the clear as far as eligibility is concerned for the new iPhone. I don't currently have a contract, I just add $$$ when I need to (which isn't often).

I plan to sign up for a regular 2-year plan when I get the iPhone.

Would anyone more familiar with the inner workings of AT&T have any other information?

I'd have written AT&T with this question, but you cannot get to a contact page through their GoPhone site...

Thanks.
    :apple::apple:

2. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

well what you can do is transfer your go phone number to monthly and pay the 199 and 299 prices. But another way is (rep for att wireless told me) that you can purchase it for the no contract pricing and use it with go phone i don't know how true this is but also no contract pricing is not available at launch. Yet again I am going by what they told me

3. viggen61 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not interested in sticking with the GoPhone. That was purely an interim step until the iPhone was available.

And I don't really care if the # can be ported or not. I suspect not, as when I try to enter it on AT&Ts login page, I get directed to a GoPhone login.

I'd like to see what other #s are available in my area, anyway...

:apple::apple:

4. CandyShop macrumors member

Hi, I'm new, but joined because I am in a similar situation and wanted to pass on information that I've gained. You can port your GoPhone number if you wish. To do this, give the AT&T rep your GoPhone number and he will pull up your account information. Then inform the rep that you want to do an account type change to a post-paid account. Provided that you have good credit, you will be good to go. If you don't (like me :mad:) you will be screwed and will be required to pay some sort of deposit ranging from $0 to $1000 in order to get the new iPhone. Honestly, I think the easiest route would be to activate on a new line if you don't care about losing your number. I need to keep my number and whenever I tell AT&T people that I want to change the account type, it always seems to throw them for a loop. Given the confusion already surrounding the launch, activating on new line is the safest bet because its a process the reps will be more familiar with. Again, this all depends on your credit history. Good Luck!

5. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

your BEST option is to do the account switch either tomorrow or thursday because the process can come up w/ errors and take a lil bit of time, up to 30 mins depending on who u get lol. (jus so u dont upset people friday behind u!)

like the above said they will do a credit check so hopefully ur straight for that.

6. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

ya if u dont care about ur number jus get a new one friday and dont put any money on ur old one.