Buying 3G on the secondary market?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric Isaacson, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I am considering buying a 3G Iphone on the secondary market. I watch Craigslist a lot and I'm pretty good at finding deals, but I want to make sure I have all my bases covered so what do I need to look for to make sure it is a good phone (not stolen) and also one that I can use with AT&T. Also what will AT&T require of me if/when I go to activate it with them?

I've purchased several Ipods on the secondary market so I'm familiar with dealing with Ipods and checking them out but what about an Iphone?'

Also my wife has a 3G Iphone so I'm familiar with Iphones in general I just need some additional advice on what to look out for.

Thanks

Eric

2. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Why? You mention you will be using it with AT&T so why would you want to buy it secondary? I can understand buying a secondary 1st Gen and unlocking it to use with another carrier but not secondary to use with AT&T. The only other reason I can think of is you don't want a contract. But, again, if you plan to be using AT&T why would you care about a contract.

Also, buying secondary usually means higher cost and you mention being able to find "deals" in your post.

Buy a new one from an Apple store, AT&T or Best Buy....in that order.

3. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm good at finding deals (hence cheaper than buying direct from Apple, At&t or Best Buy), if I can find a good deal and it checks out to be in good shape, why not save some money and buy on the secondary market. I don't have a problem with buying retail but if I can find it cheaper (and I've seen them cheaper especially with the economy now people are selling them to get money) so I'm just looking for advice to make sure I have my bases covered. And I understand that secondary market sometimes means more expensive but not always.

Thanks
    Eric