Buying 3rd party hard drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weyus, Feb 26, 2008.

1. weyus macrumors member

I'm clear that purchasing memory from "not-Apple" makes plenty of sense, and I plan to do that when I feel like I need the memory.

What about purchasing a 3rd party HDD? Is the hard drive easy to replace? Should I be able to sell the stock one on eBay? Which vendor would be the best to purchase from?

Thanks,
    Wes

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Depends what you are replacing, Macbook or Macbook Pro. Macbook is a more user replaceable drive then the Pro. The Pro is easy but usually requires documentation that can be found on ifixit.com under guides.

As far as asking vendor? That question is going to be all user opinions. I have had Maxtor, Segate, and WD and haven't had any issues. Others that respond will have difference of opinion. I would just go for what you can afford and need. A lot of people are going with the WD (western digital) 320gig off newegg cause of the price. And don't sell the the stock one on Ebay. Get an enclosure and utilize the drive as an external drive.

3. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

I am not sure I would agree with "The Pro is easy".

It is easy to strip a screw or yank a wire. Then, the guy attempting to do it is going to be ticked off. It is possible to do it yourself but there are many steps, many screws and some tricky ribbon cables to disconnect and re-connect.

Once you embark on this course of action, you pretty much have no way to turn around.

If your machine is covered under applecare, I believe doing this voids those agreements as well. Make certain your machine is not under warranty.

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Ok, let me correct myself. Its easy for those who have experience taking electronic devices apart.

There, much better.

There is already a HUGE thread on the warranty. So I wouldn't worry about it.