Buying 4 gigs of DDR3..timing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ryans79, Dec 27, 2009.

  1. ryans79 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #1
    Hey,
    I have a MBP 13.3" uni with the standard 2 gigs of ram.

    Now that i am running VMWare fusion and Win7/Visual Studio in the virtual machine I think its time to upgrade my ram to 4 gigs (2x2GB) as there's a slight lag in some parts and a horrible lag in others.

    The thing is, I can actually put up with the screwy bits for a little while (1-3months) if i have to... for example if RAM prices are going to be falling anytime soon..
    Any ideas on this?
    or do you suggest I buy now? (I am getting a 'decent' price of 78.19 GBP from Crucial - best deal that i have found so far - includes free shipping)

    Wish I could afford the 2x4gigs but the prices for that is just ridiculous. Does anybody see those prices dropping anytime soon as well?

    Thanks in advance
     
  2. chill. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2008
  3. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #3
    Thanks!
    Will pick them up now.

    Cheers!
    R
     
  4. Azrel macrumors regular

    Azrel

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2005
    #4
    I'm in a similar position, but why would the price be going up?
     
  5. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #5
    From what i have been reading... a lot more people are buying computers so the demand is higher and supply is struggling a bit to meet demand (or thats what the makers claim anyway - could be artificial inflation).

    Memory was supposedly cheap a little while ago because they expected a huge demand when Vista came out... but vista didnt catch on as much as expected so people didnt upgrade their ram and the supplier/s had a huge amount they had to get rid of... but with Leopard and Win7 both being hits, people are upgrading left right and center and it does not seem to be stopping anytime soon.

    (note, this is not my opinion, just what i have been reading)
     
  6. Azrel macrumors regular

    Azrel

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2005
    #6
    That makes sense :) I think I'm going to hold on a bit though, I haven't seen prices rise I've only seen them stay fairly flat.
     
  7. Corrode macrumors 6502a

    Corrode

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #7
    This
    article suggests that DDR3 prices will come down. I guess they were making a lot of DDR2 in 2009, and now that DDR3 is picking up, there should be a greater supply and therefore lower prices (I know it's more complicated then that but you get the picture.

    I'm holding out till February.

     
  8. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #8

    interesting...

    I think I'll install Win7 on bootcamp and slug it out till Feb-March as well, would hate to see I bought 4 gigs of ram when i could have gotten 8 in just a little while for the same price.. or a wee bit more.

    Thanks for the link;)
     

Share This Page