buying 4s with iOS7 can I go back to iOS 6

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleDApp, Sep 20, 2013.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I want to buy an iPhone 4s.

I am currently using an iOS 6 on my phone and would like to keep it this way until I know I am comfortable with iOS 7.

The seller I have contacted has iOS 7 installed. If I restore from my backup will I have iOS 6 or 7?

Thank you.

Apologies if this is already posted elsewhere.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

It will restore your backup to iOS7, sorry.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

It is possible to get back to iOS6, but it is a lot like jailbreaking in that you have to download the OS for your phone, hoping Apple is still signing it and then get the phone into DFU mode and restore iOS6 from iTunes. This is not something I recommend doing on a phone you just bought. If it doesn't come the way you like it, don't buy it.

I'm not sure what happens if you backed up from iOS7 either to iTunes or to iCLoud and then try to restore to iOS6.

I have a somewhat similar problem in that my wife hates iOS7. She wants me to put her 4S back on iOS6. I'd rather not but I'm afraid she will wear me down eventually. Perhaps I should go download it before Apple decides it's time to stop signing it. :eek:

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Are they still signing 6.1.3? I was trying to figure this out today.

5. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

6. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Thanks for the update. Seems like email notifications aren't working anymore. Has anyone else noticed this?