Buying 6 in US, for use in Ireland

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueAlison, Nov 29, 2014.

1. BlueAlison macrumors newbie

Hi,

I want to buy an iPhone in the US in the next few weeks to use here in Ireland, as it is about 200 euro cheaper.

However I'm getting confused on the model numbers and what I need...

Let's just assume I'm buying the unlocked version and the regular iPhone 6. Also bear in mind that any CDMA version bought unlocked will be unlocked to all GSM carriers so choosing the Verizon/T mobile/AT&T versions is irrelevant as they're all the same model number, only the US Cellular/Sprint model is a different model number. However, correct me if I have this wrong.

In Ireland, they only sell Model A1586 (GSM), which is the Sprint/US Cellular model.

It has extra LTE bands, but as far as I'm aware (read: what I've googled and wikipedia tells me) the LTE bands for Ireland are 20, 8, and 3, with the frequencies 800, 900 and 1800 Mhz, respectively. These bands are in both the Verizon/AT&T and Sprint versions of the phones. http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ Essentially, Model A1549 and Model A1586 both have the LTE bands I supposedly need.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#Ireland

So, tell me, can I buy Model A1549 (GSM) (or the CDMA version) and use it here no problem?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sigh.

Do. NOT. Buy. A. Sprint. iPhone.

It is locked to Sprint. And unless you have the time to become a Sprint customer for 90 days and pay your bill on time for 90 days then Sprint will not unlock it. AND. Any unlock Sprint does is INTERNATIONAL only.

You're asking to use it in Ireland, so an International only unlock will apply to you. But you're going to have to go through the hassle of getting it international unlocked. And understand that it is locked to Sprint period should it ever be brought back into the US. Sprint does not unlock for domestic US use for ANY reason.

In short. Full price for a Sprint iPhone is contract free only. That's it.

3. Ibaorus macrumors member

Verizon iPhones come unlocked. Correct me if I am wrong.

4. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yes

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yes, the GSM radio is unlocked for US domestic and international carriers. The CDMA radio is still locked to Verizon, but that doesn't matter too much since CDMA is far less common.

Yes with either the 1 year warranty or AppleCare+. There are the EU consumer protection laws, but I'm not sure if that covers something purchased outside the EU.