Buying 8gb iPod Touch even if reaching EOL?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by g3ck0, Apr 25, 2008.

1. g3ck0 macrumors member

With the recent news on macrumors that both the 8gb iphone and ipod touch is reaching their end-of-life and that it will no longer be sold, you this affect us in the US at all?

Should I just get the 8gb ipod touch anyway or should I wait? What are the chances that the 16gb will drop in prices as a result of this in the coming weeks?

2. illidian macrumors 6502

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well they help me out. So where do you suggest?

4. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

NO matter the outcome. Unless you have more than 8gb of music, movies or don't mind making short playlists out of your media and not carrying it all at one time the current line up is fine.

Its been said before, technology is always going to be improving, you won't have the latest and greatest for very long anyway.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd wait, because even when Apple cuts the 8GB, its unlikely it will be sold out everyone that day.

And I'd bet it the 299 8GB model is cut, a 16Gb model would move into that price slot.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd wait as well. Most of the memory is there because it's a media device. If you put media on it, you're going to want as much space as possible. 16 GB is far more than 8 GB, and we know it's coming quite soon.

7. illidian macrumors 6502

If it were not for the overseas reports, I would guess that they would release new (more memory) iPod Touches the same time all the other iPods are released - just in time for the holiday season - or when a new model iPhone is released - slated to be at WWDC this year.

The reports from all these European distributors makes me wonder though.

8. g3ck0 thread starter macrumors member

Yea exactly, so does apple operate differently in Europe markets (as opposed to here in the US)?

9. illidian macrumors 6502

I would bet on them keeping their markets similar.

While the chance for a line-up of 16, 32, and 64 GB in Europe while 8, 16, and 32 GB in the U.S. is not impossible, it's something that I'm willing to rule out completely.

10. g3ck0 thread starter macrumors member

So you are thinking that Europe will still have an 8gb version, or that 16gb will also be the lowest storage capacity in the US?

11. illidian macrumors 6502

I think that both Europe and U.S. will have the same product line. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

12. g3ck0 thread starter macrumors member

Nooonono, I just misunderstood you :) Anyway, so do you think that when here in the US they finally drop the 8gb (sometime in june?), the 16gb version will be priced the same as the 8gb version now (i.e. $299)?

13. illidian macrumors 6502

I think that the prices will remain fairly constant to what they are at this present time while capacity will increase over time. This is what all the other iPods have done.