Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I am going to buy a 13-inch retina MacBook Pro for my girlfriend today. At first, she was looking at the Air but then she fell for the retina model.

In principle, I was going to buy the lower-end version (4 GB, 128 GB) as she will make light use of it, but now I am thinking this configuration is a little puny for such a gorgeous laptop that should last for years. I am thinking of buying the 8 GB, 256 GB instead. Is it worth it, considering the light use (web browsing, emails, word processor)?

How long is the lower-end version expected to keep fast with only 4 GB?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Considering it has a retina screen, all the display elements, etc are going to take 4x the memory. Also, with no dedicated graphics memory, it all comes out of the system memory. When it first came out, there was no 4gb option. So, even apple thought that 8gb was a good number.

I think 8gb is a good investment.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2010
Yeah get the 256GB, 8GB configuration. If anything, it increases the resale value of the computer.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
Double the storage and RAM for a bit more money? It's worth it, it'll last longer and the resale value is higher.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If she decides to do anything else with it like music or photography she is going to want the additional memory and disk space.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
I don't know what your budget is but if you can at least double the RAM. the storage isn't an issue. You can spend 70 bucks and get an external drive. Or just upgrade it later at http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/

edit:
you cannot upgrade the RAM. I recommend maxing it out.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Thanks for your valuable input. I bought the 8 GB, 256 GB model. It will last for a few years. It's a great laptop.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Thanks for your valuable input. I bought the 8 GB, 256 GB model. It will last for a few years. It's a great laptop.

It will last for a lot longer than a few years! It better, I have this config and expect a heckuva lot more than a few years out of it. ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I think that's the best option, as others stated the 4GB may cause some performance slow downs as time goes on. As for the 256GB, I think 128GB is just too small now a days.

Congrats :)

----------

You need to download more ram when you order it.

That makes no sense, what do you mean download more ram? :confused:

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
I bought the top end 13" model (2.6/8/512) and I can definitely recommend it. I would have gone for that one, but for light use it would indeed probably have been overkill.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I am going to buy a 13-inch retina MacBook Pro for my girlfriend today. At first, she was looking at the Air but then she fell for the retina model.

In principle, I was going to buy the lower-end version (4 GB, 128 GB) as she will make light use of it, but now I am thinking this configuration is a little puny for such a gorgeous laptop that should last for years. I am thinking of buying the 8 GB, 256 GB instead. Is it worth it, considering the light use (web browsing, emails, word processor)?

How long is the lower-end version expected to keep fast with only 4 GB?

I'm glad you got the 256 GB SSD because she can run boot camp on it if she needs to at some point.

I run boot camp and even the 256 is tight on space but it'll do.

P.S. I hope she does something for you ;)...that's an expensive gift for a girlfriend!!! Lucky her!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.