Buying a 15" 2015 now and then?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fpenta, Dec 5, 2016.

1. fpenta macrumors member

Hello

I placed an order for a new 2015 Macbook Pro 15" maxed out with Intel Pro from the Apple store and should recieve in few days.
    Since I know that after 5 years Apple doesn't replace/repair the hardwares, does this mean I have only 3 years and half left until the hardware won't be repairable? Or is it from the date of purchase?

Thank you!

2. Chupa Chupa, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1. There will likely always be 3rd party repair shops with spare OEM or harvested parts to repair old units -- even these sealed ones. May not be cost effective but should be possible.

2. Best course of action IMHO is not to hold Apple laptops for more than 4 years. They have great resale value even at 4 years. Sell and get what money you can out and buy whatever the newest model is. Why wait to upgrade until your laptop is decrepit and worthless?

3. Chancha macrumors 6502a

The 2015 model is end of the previous retina design, which has considerably few reports of hardware failure, except the dGPU which you happen to have avoided. So in all likelihood, you won't get into intense hardware failure and even if you do, 3rd party repair shops can probably fix it easily, and the model has been around since 2012 with not much change so there are more than enough replacement parts floating in aftermarket.

The date of purchase is only relevant for the Apple Care warranty, which starts counting the day it is delivered. The "5 year End of Life" issue is never a written rule, it is just expected for Apple to discontinue models and they have had a track record of sticking with such a time frame. And in this case it is understood to roughly start counting on the day the model is announced/first shipped.

4. fpenta thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! Happy to have made the right choice!