Buying a 15" Macbook Pro: Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Robdmb, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Robdmb macrumors regular

I am buying a 15" Macbook Pro Retina. The computer will primarily be used simply for office/work functions (i.e. web browsing, office, remote desktop, etc.). I don't foresee any gaming on it.

I am inclined to get the base 15" Macbook Pro w/ Iris Graphics but maybe upgrade to 16GB of Ram just to future proof it since the ram can't be upgraded. Should that be sufficient? I assume if I am not gaming, etc. there is really no need for the dedicated graphics and the $500 price increase for the next model?

Thanks.

2. MagicBoy, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

For that usage there's no need for a 15" retina, aside from the display size. A MacBook Air or 13" retina would be fine and relatively future proof with 8GB.

3. Robdmb thread starter macrumors regular

The 15" selection is based solely on wanting the larger screen size. I figured 16GB is probably overkill but would future proof it just in case since its never upgradeable.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

For your usage, get the base model 15" and invest the cost savings. Then, in 5 or 6 years, you have a chunk of change towards the replacement.

Short form: 16 GB RAM will not "future-proof" it, so don't waste your money.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Go with the 8GB, which will get you through 3 to 5 years of usage imo.

6. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

If you are going to spend upwards of $2000 already I would recommend going for the 750m spec.

You actually get a lot for your extra $600. ie a higher performance CPU, extra 8 GB of ram, extra 256 GB of storage, and the 750m should you need to anything requiring boosted 3D performance or CUDA support.

Also, the fact that you cannot ever upgrade the ram means you should get as much as you can afford now as there is no changing it later. Future proofing is not the point, it is the fact that you never know what your requirements will be a year or two down the road.

Just as an example, 9 months ago I didn't consider the fact that I would discover Blender, a free 3D suite capable of making hollywood quality CG rendered scenes. The 750m doubles the rendering speed over the CPU, and as far as I am aware I haven't seen the ability to do the rendering on the Iris Pro chip, as this requires CUDA.

I'm glad I spent the extra money to gain what I did.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Unless your needs change, 8gb and Iris Pro should be fine for a long time.

8. jjfcpa macrumors member

Rob
    Unless you are going to be using VMWare or Parallels to run Windows, I think 8gigs of RAM would be sufficient.

I made the mistake of buying a 2012 with 8 gigs and run Windows in VMWare and it was just not enough. Last year i purchased a 2013 15" rMBP with 16 gigs of RAM and it is the best solution for my type of work. Could easily have gotten by with 8 gigs if it weren't for the fact that I have to run Windows.

9. Robdmb thread starter macrumors regular

Would just using Remote Desktop (not parallels, etc.) warrant the need for more ram?

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

If you are remoting in to a separate Windows PC/Server then no. The remote desktop app on OS X uses very little RAM.

11. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Nope.

I'll be honest--I bought the highest spec rMBP in November mainly because I was getting it at a discount and could justify the indulgence. I do both audio and Photoshop work (with fairly large files) and there are only a few instances where my RAM use has exceeded 8GB--and those were mostly a result of leaving irrelevant files and apps open out of laziness.

Granted, RAM demands might increase in the next three years, but for the uses you've described I think 16GB is probably overkill.

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Recommending a high end 15 rMBP for office work and web browsing is absolute nonsense.

OP the base model Macbook Air would suit your needs just fine. Anything more than that is just overkill. Getting 16GB of ram would be a complete waste of money.

Most people use what they use. There are occasions where users get into other things that require more power but that isn't very likely. If you must comfort yourself with future proofing, 8GB is the max you should invest in.

If you feel you have to have a 15 rMBP for display size, then get the base model and get a refurb to save as much as possible.

Honestly, if you want retina, you should just get a base model or mid config 13 inch model. It can be had from the refurb store for less than 1300 dollars.

Many people on these forums like to spend others money for them by always recommending more than most users need.

13. blooperz macrumors 6502

seems pretty unaminous that the base 15" is more then enough for the OP's needs....thread closed imo <3

14. Polyphonie macrumors member

Polyphonie

The downside to that is that you will experience less battery time because some apps will force the use of GT750M. Even embedded videos on website usually cause the switch to the power hungry dGPU.

If you don't need the power of the GPU, it probably make more sense to get the rMBP with the better battery life.

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There's gfxcardstatus to disable the 750M. I use it to do that.

16. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

+1. Free app, problem solved.

17. SarcasticJoe Suspended

SarcasticJoe

Unless it's office work on the move, my personal recommendation would be to go with a 13" machine and an external monitor. That way you'll save a bundle and get a bigger screen, or two if you can get used to working with two screens.