Buying a 15" MBP now...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leelum, Jun 2, 2012.

  1. leelum macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    Location:
    Gibraltar (British Overseas Territory)
    #1
    Hey there guys,

    Sorry if this is one of those silly questions you've been asked before but from what I could see flicking through the forum, it hasn't been asked yet! :p [Please don't shoot me]

    So, I have the money now to buy a 15" MBP that I'm *dying* waiting for. I know WWDC is in just over a week and release won't be too long after that but, if I buy a MBP now...do Apple have anyway of not leaving those of us "silly" enough to buy a MBP now in the dark or would we be stuck with the older model?
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    If you buy it and a new one is released next week sometimes they are nice about exchanging it for the latest model.
     
  3. leelum thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    Location:
    Gibraltar (British Overseas Territory)
    #3
    Authorised re-sellers as much Apple stores? The country I live in doesn't have an official Apple store ;_;
     
  4. ixodes macrumors 601

    ixodes

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Pacific Coast, USA
    #4
    It's true, Apple does some pretty amazing things for their customers.

    Nonetheless, I'd wait ... It's good practice and a reminder that there's a lot to be said for patience :)
     
  5. leelum thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    Location:
    Gibraltar (British Overseas Territory)
    #5
    *Sigh* I know I should but I've been waiting since March when I sold my 13" MBP and all the WWDC talk just makes the lust for Mac goodness even stronger!
     
  6. ixodes macrumors 601

    ixodes

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Pacific Coast, USA
    #6
    Unless you fill in your profile, indicating the country you live in, there's no way for us to know that. It's only natural for those of us in Apple's home country to think domestically.

    ----------

    I can certainly understand that :D
     
  7. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #7
    Probably less likely with an authorized reseller, but you never know until you ask. If it's longer than two weeks though don't bother.
     
  8. leelum thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    Location:
    Gibraltar (British Overseas Territory)
    #8
    I have updated it now so when people realise there's no Apple store here, they can weep for me.
     
  9. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #9
    Personally given that the keynote address is under 2 weeks away, you're better off waiting.

    Just grin and bear it, at the very least you'll be able to get the 2011 model for even less if you decide.
     
  10. GrassHoppa10 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2009
    #10
    Counter Statement:

    I bought a 15" MBP 2.4G i7 Quad-Core with 7200RPM 750GB disk, and the HD screen - just 2 weeks ago. I wasn't interested in a newer slimmer version of the MBP minus the EN port, or Superdrive. I am very very very happy with current gen of MBP. Upgraded to 16GB memory - the machine is perfect.

    Frankly - I don't care what they come out with. Zero regrets. Infact I did not want to get stuck with only choice being newer version of MBP with undesirable compromises and not be able to CTO (configure/built to order) 15" of current gen.

    So to each their own - I am a happy MBP owner. We have 5 MACs in our home. All 5 get good use.
     
  11. JohnnyChao macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2012
    #11
    if u cant wait another week then u have a problem

    woud be a waste to buy a computer and then exchanging it.

    just wait a week
     
  12. whdigital macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2011
    #12
    Good for you! I just picked up last night a delivered to store Refurb model with the very same logic. My little "back door" plan though is that IF there is something announced that is still what I would want, it should be within the 14 day return period and I'll consider a switch. However, I'm really pleased to have the 15" I was after.

    Actually, you may have the problem. It's a tool. You get what you want when you need it.
     
  13. ixodes macrumors 601

    ixodes

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Pacific Coast, USA
    #13
    I could not agree more.

    We all have difference preferences, uses, and requirements. There is no perfect computer, timing, or price. It's all a compromise best managed by the person making the purchase.

    When it comes to Apple it's a bit more difficult because they are so secretive, yet I understand why and don't disagree. For those that use their computer as the tool they make their living with, often times it better to choose an existing well sorted model, as opposed to an unknown new revised one that may be fraught with teething issues. Newer is not always better and unknown is just that.

    Oh sure I'll be the first to admit I make every effort to time my purchases so as to have a new model early on in it's product cycle, but that's not always possible.

    At the end of the day ones still buying a new Mac and that's a great feeling.
     
  14. Arnezie macrumors 65816

    Arnezie

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2011
    #15
    Have you considered moving :D
     
  15. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #16
    I do that too. When it's late in a cycle I look at if I will really benefit from a replacement prior to the refresh. We can get really detailed with this. You can look for a tock cycle early in the cycle but after any initial problems are worked out at a time when a totally new design is not about to hit the market within the next cycle, which of course pushes you two cycles out as no one wants a first generation design in case it has problems:p. Tech companies bait you like this. I've purchased late in a cycle and regretted it. Other times it was the right thing to do because I needed it at that time.

    You know some of the third party retailers are quite good here. I have two Apple Stores near me, yet the third party retailers are often more helpful and knowledgeable. You can also talk directly to a repair guy. It's just a matter of finding a good one. I've even bought stuff at slightly higher prices than I'd be able to find online (even knowing what I'd buy before walking in) if the retailer is able to handle support issues. Sometimes it's quite worthwhile.
     
  16. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2012
    Location:
    NJ
    #17
    Honestly, I love my 2011 MBP but your only 2 weeks away from getting the IVY bridge processors so why not wait? If you don't like the new features you can just get the '11 at a reduced price. If you don't have a computer and need one right now, that is a whole different story and just buy the '11 since it is a beast of a machine. Upgrade the Ram though.
     

Share This Page