Buying A 15" MBP via Amazon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by realestatesteve, Aug 25, 2009.

1. realestatesteve macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm buying a MBP soon, and I'm wondering; how long does it take for Amazon's stock to update with Snow Leopard? I'd prefer to get my MBP with SL installed, so if I want to avoid paying taxes (and get a cheaper price), how long do you think I'd have to wait for Amazon to update their stock?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Is it really that big a deal to upgrade the OS with a Mac? Sorry for the stupid question; never owned a Mac before. :/

2. TXbug macrumors member

TXbug

If you purchase a new Mac from Amazon, you may be eligible for a $9.95 upgrade copy of Snow Leopard. Check out this link - Mac OS X Snow Leopard Up-to-Date Program. It is not a big deal because what version of OS X that is installed will work fine. However, Snow Leopard is new and the latest and it is a full 64 bit OS. It is smaller than Leopard and more efficient.

Like all major operating system upgrades, there may be things that you like that are not available to run on Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.x) yet. The third party software companies will catch up eventually.

You will like Mac. It is easy to use.

You may be able to save a few dollars if you shop around. Apple sells refurbished models that are as good as new. Mac Mall and Powermax are Mac retailers you should check out.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Agreed. Look at the apple refurb store - you can grab a printer for free with a mac there (if you don't need/want it, sell it for $60-ish). That should more than cover the taxes and at the very least, will ship with snow leopard as a "drop-in".

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68010

Amazon actually drop ships from Apple, so they may include SL very quickly. Probably wait a few days and see if they update their Mac pages with the new OS description.