Buying a 15" PB, anyone wanna stop me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mcarnes, Jun 17, 2005.

  1. mcarnes macrumors 68000


    Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    I decided to bite the bullet and order a BTO 15" powerbook. My 12" iBook is the latest version and would easily last another year until Intel based PBs come out (~ June 2006). But I got to thinking that I don't want a rev. A intel powerbook. I never buy something when it is first introduced. The first 6 months are basically beta testing on a large scale.

    So if you figure that I don't want a intel based PB until ~ June 2007, I might as well get a PB now so I can enjoy it for two years.

    Anyone else going to wait until about June 2007 for an intel based portable? I figure intel desktop powermacs should be good about June 2008. The powermac G5s should be fine until then.
  2. SRSound macrumors 6502

    Jun 7, 2005
    I was just in the apple store today looking at 15" PBs but I think I'm going to go for a 12" PB with the 20" ACD for the same price... can't beat better portability AND an excellent workspace when you want them!
  3. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

    Mar 15, 2005
    Thats what I plan to do too but if you don't mind lugging the 15'' around; I think it would be the better buy. Also are you sure you have your prices are correct?
    According to my calculations the 12'' + ACD option costs quite a bit more.
  4. SRSound macrumors 6502

    Jun 7, 2005
    Well I was assuming a maxed out 15" PB (super 128vRAM 2GB RAM etc). I was figuring all the accessories for my specific needs per set up and the 15" came out to be 240$ more then the 12" + 20" but that's just my configuration
  5. Truffy macrumors 6502a


    May 9, 2005
    somewhere outside your window...
    Yeah, I'm gonna get a PM with 20" ACD later this year. I can't wait until 2008, or even 2007, and I certainly don't want to pay for the privilege of ironing out the problems.
  6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020


    Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    im not sure what the battery life is between the 12'' and 15'' Powerbooks, but word on the street is that 12'' is much better because they both use the same battery. That may be something else to keep in mind. I still would go 15''. I've used both and to me its much nicer to have those extra 3" :)
  7. yellow Moderator emeritus


    Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Why wait? If you need it now, get it now. Plus, why wait and get the first rev of the first Mactel? That's a bad idea, IMO. Your new Powerbook will be healthy and useful for a long time.
  8. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816


    Jan 25, 2005
    No objections here.

    I got my 15"er on Wednesday and I love it.. if you want the 15 over the 12 get it.. either way buy a powerbook now! If its what you want/need you will not regret it!
  9. Deepdale macrumors 68000


    May 4, 2005
    New York
    There's no escape ... it always comes down to size, doesn't it?

Share This Page