Buying a 17" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beegolof, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. Beegolof macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2006
    #1
    I was thinking about buying a 17" Macbook Pro and thought if now was a good time to buy one. After Macworld 08 came and no updates to
    the Macbook Pro were made, I thought I would just buy one anyway. Right now I use a 17" Powerbook G4 and it's starting
    to get really old and not usable anymore. Does it look possible that Apple could make any changes to the Macbook Pro that are worth waiting for?
    Right now I'm looking at buying a 17" Macbook Pro with top specs. Should I wait a bit longer for some updates or just buy one now?
    Changes to the case aren't as important to me as things like processor upgrades. I like the technoligy in the Macbook Air,
    such as the multi touch track pad but don't really care if I have it or not in any future Macbook Pros.
    I know it says on the Buyers Guide for MBPs "Don't Buy - Updates soon *" but I feel I've waited long enough and from what I'm reading
    the updates aren't going to be that big. Are any possible updates worth the wait? :rolleyes:
     
  2. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

    RiCEADDiCTBOY

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2007
    #2
    I am in the same boat as you. Disappointing isn't it? I do wish the multi-touch, the magnetic latch and a case redesign at the least would have shown up on the MBP...

    I'm still waiting. If you need it now...go get it. Its a great product...However, I am now considering a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ4000 CTO which comes out in Feb....costs quite a bit less than a MBP. I'm torn. I want a MBP...badly...but, not at the current shape. It's a great product but, the flaws that weren't fixed were the ones being used on the MBA that I really adored. Great features on the wrong product. Not saying the MBA is a bad product...just not for what I need...and wishing some of those aesthetics were introduced to the other notebook lineup as well.

    Honestly, the CPU is fine for me...and I can live with the GPU. I am not going to be playing games on this...thats why I have a PS3/PSP. But, I desperately want the heating issues, the chassis design flaws, and a new touchpad before I put down that kind of cold cash on this product. Honestly, I don't see what would make it so difficult to even add two out of the three of those requests. It's a frequent problem for MBP users with the latch design (and hinges), and the touchpad would be a quick switchout from the original pad. I can only hold out a little past March. March is pushing it for myself...I hope Apple doesn't ignore the MBP for too long. I mean come on...the designs been used since Powerbook G4......in laptop times...thats like comparing the Renaissance to Modern Day. >_<
     

Share This Page