Buying a 1st Gen iPhone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleRocks2011, Jul 18, 2012.

1. AppleRocks2011 macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

Hi there! I have a bit of a dilemma, so I guess I should fill you in on the back story.

I just started to collect cool Apple gadgets like an old iBook from 1999 or the 3rd generation iPod Classic. I've recently began looking to acquiring a 1st generation iPhone. I have looked on Craigslist and gotten responses from two users.

The first one is for $125 and has a near perfect condition iPhone with the box and all the stuff that came with it. However, there is a minor issue, which is the prongs in the SIM tray are a little recessed, and therefore do not read the SIM card. It's an easy fix for me, and I would really love having the original box and such.

The second one is $90 and the phone is lightly used. I like the price, and the fact that it's working correctly. However, this one doesn't come with the box.

Any ideas on which one I should go for?

Thanks!

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would go for the first one if it is in near perfect condition - and has the box. Are you even going to put a sim card in it for collecting purposes? If it is an easy fix for you, then even better!

To me the condition and the box make a difference from a collector point of view...