Buying a 2010 Mac Pro 6-core?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by echelon4, May 12, 2017.

1. echelon4 macrumors newbie

My main machine is a 2008 Mac Pro, but I would like to use Sierra and future macOSes. While there are no significant issues with my machine now (a few random shutdowns/reboots), a speedier machine with the latest updates would be nice. An upgraded 2010 machine with a W3690 3.46 Ghz 6-Core and 32GB of RAM is available for $800. This would be used all day... browsing, office-type work, Photoshop and Handbrake type stuff.

Probably not much of deal but I don't want to rely on a Hackintosh as my main machine. Any opinions or suggestions? Thanks!

2. AndreeOnline macrumors 6502

AndreeOnline

I'd say $800 is the target for a dual CPU Mac Pro. I don't know if the prices have gone up now that Nvidia drivers are out.

For a single CPU Mac Pro I'd try to find a cheaper one. The upside with your example is that it is already maxed out in the CPU so there is no additional costs there. SSD + GFX card and you've got a reliable, smooth running machine. Still legacy USB, Bluetooth and WLAN unless you upgrade those.

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I will say $800 is bit expensive. In fact, for me, I can build the same spec machine with roughly…$400

Basic single CPU 4,1 $250
    W3690 $90
    4x8GB 1333MHz ECC RAM $60

But this require flash the 4,1 to 5,1. And the Mac itself may be one year older. But in terms of spec, they at identical.

So, unless in your city, this is already considered a very good deal. I won't rush for it.

And if all you want is just Sierra, in fact you can install Sierra on your 3,1 with some work around.

Also, if you want any OS beyond Sierra, better not to buy the 5,1. There is simply no guarantee the 5,1 will still be supported on next OS upgrade.

Yes, most likely there will be some work around even if the 5,1 is not officially supported. However, if you don't mind to do that, why not doing that on your 3,1 now. Why spend the money?

And if Sierra is the highest OS can be installed on 5,1 officially, are you still willing to pay that $800?

4. Gazember macrumors member

I got mine with that exact configuration you are showing over two years ago for $1150. It came with the standard HD 5770 GPU.

My concern of buying that cMP today is that most likely you will stop getting OS X updates for it within a year or two, and definitely as soon as the new modular MP comes out. This may not be a concern for you as an MP can chug along with a dated OS nearly forever.

5. kschendel macrumors 6502a

$800 is not outrageous but it sounds a little high, depending on what else is in it. Drives? SSD? GPU? If everything else is stock, I think you might be able to do better.

6. echelon4, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017

echelon4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!

@AndreeOnline - Any place to look beyond Craigslist/eBay?

@h9826790 - I'm not able to find those components at those prices. Ideally, I'd like to keep it OEM as much as possible. I would like a rock solid machine until the new Mac Pros actually come out but beyond Sierra would be nice. The reason I'm targeting the 2010 is that it's nearly the same as 2012, so it should carry the same support.

@Gazember - I think the 2010 will be getting updates as long as the 2012 is. I do realize both are old by tech standards, and that's the risk.

@kschendel - 1TB drive, but I will be moving my 1TB SSD into it. Video is ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024mb.

I'm thinking the single CPU will run a little cooler than what I have now (2 x 2.8GHz Quad Core and 20 GB RAM) and I should be set with the 32GB RAM.

7. AndreeOnline macrumors 6502

AndreeOnline

I could tell you, but then I'd have to ki… slander your name! Or something...

No, sorry... I'm based in Switzerland so I don't buy stuff off the popular sites in the States anyway. But the key is patience and determination. Unfortunately, I think the interest in these old computers has peaked slightly again, since you can use a more powerful GPU now with official drivers.