Buying a 2012 MBP 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fleawannabe, Jun 28, 2012.

  1. fleawannabe, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

    fleawannabe macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    #1
    So after bouncing back and forth between a refurbished 15 and a new 13, I decided to go with the new 13 base. I went to the store and the 13 was the size I was looking for, and I really do not need a dedicated GPU or quad core power.

    Once I get it I will put in 8GB of RAM and I plan on putting in a M4 SSD down the road.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148450

    One concern is voiding the warranty, if I do the optibay thing would I void the warranty? Or if I just swap out the HD for SSD, leaving the disc drive alone would I void the warranty? Once I put the SSD in how do I transfer all my data to it?

    Another question, what is the best way to transfer the info from my old imac? Migration? Carbon Copy?

    Another thing, could anyone recommend a good reliable case that can still hold my power supply and some accessories that isn't to bulky? This is the best I found.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=734822&Q=&is=REG&A=details

    And could anyone recommend a good Anti Glare screen protector? I heard of imoshi ivisor and power support.

    Thanks for and input, really excited to replace my late 2007 imac!!!
     
  2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

    CosmoPilot

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2010
    Location:
    South Carolina
    #2
    Wirelessly posted

    Warranty, no! Apple will not cover any aftermarket upgrades but will still honor it's other components. Most people keep their internal parts and if required to take it in just swap them back in.

    The best way to transfer data is a time machine back up IMHO.

    The case and shield I'm not sure of
     
  3. Geo411m macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    #3
    If you change the HD and don't mess with the disc drive you should be okay warranty wise.
     
  4. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    #4
    Thanks, that what I thought. Hope Im making the right choice, the Air looks tempting but there Just isn't enough media space for me.
     
  5. Geo411m macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    #5
    The decision for me is speed and upgradability vs portability and resolution. I decided being able to put in larger SSD and 16+ GB RAM was worth it.
     
  6. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    #6
    Ya I plan on putting in the SSD very soon, and once the warranty is up I plan doing the optibay Will the stock 500 HD. If I could buy a outside SSD for the new air I would probably do that.
     

Share This Page