Buying a 2014 15" rMBP: What problems should I look for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jadAce, Aug 9, 2014.

1. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

Hi everyone, I'm upgrading to the 2014 15" rMBP from a MacBook Air. I've been browsing the forums and noticed alot of talk about image retention and yellow tint issues. When I buy the rMBP, what should I be looking for to see if it has these problems? Should I try to get an rMBP with an LG or Samsung display to avoid the issue? Thanks!

2. jg321 macrumors 6502

Buy it. Use it. If you're happy with it, then you're happy with it. If it doesn't meet your expectations, then take it back, preferably within 14 days.

Don't go looking for issues. Who cares about the display/SSD manufacturer?

3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This. It makes me wonder if all displays, including the previous generation MBPs, had this little "issues", and the display OCD got amplified on retinas because of the initial Image Retention problems thus making everyone paranoid about other display flaws.

I just took my rMBP out of box, it works, the display looks great, and that is all that matters.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Exactly! Look for the good things, not the bad! Return policy, warranty, and Apple Care are invoked if you find a problem.

5. jadAce thread starter macrumors regular

jadAce

Thanks everyone, sounds great. Just out of curiosity (and I know this has probably been answered a few hundred thousand times), should I get AppleCare for the rMBP as well? I can also get the student discount with it, btw (and am planning on using the $100 gift card to also buy the AppleCare). But I've heard American Express gives an automatic extension with out extra cost.

6. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

It's worth it if you plan on keeping it for awhile. If you have access to an apple store right by you and you have a problem, they will take care of it. Just bring it into the store. If you want to deal with American Express with all these forms and crap over the phone and have the patience for that, then that's up to you.

I had a problem with my Mac I had awhile back and they replaced the whole logic board.

7. Wishbrah macrumors regular

A major problem you should look out for is your standards becoming too high for your next laptop purchase down the line.

8. Alfonsomac macrumors member

9. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I am experiencing no problems.

I have a samsung SSD and LG display panel - it's like having your cake, eating it, while opening your christmas gift (it being the very thing you always wanted) while watching on TV that we've made first contact and there's peace on earth.

It's that amazing! Ok maybe not quite but pretty darn close :p

----------

Yes you should get applecare. Always get applecare on your apple products.

You have 1 year to get applecare on computers and 60 days (i think that changed it use to be 30days) for mobile products.

10. jadAce thread starter macrumors regular

jadAce

Cool - can't wait to have that feeling myself :)

Quick question: Aren't the LG display panels supposed to be the ones with the tint/IR issues? Or is that the Samsung ones?

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Yes LG used to have IR issue when Apple first introduce the Retina display in June 2012, however a lot of people saying it's been resolved but I can't proof that as I have a Samsung screen.

12. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

The majority of them [ IR issues ] were LG screens. However, that seems to have become a non-issue for a while now..

Don't stress over the screen... buy it and enjoy it. I will recommend AppleCare, but only if you intend to keep it beyond the manufacturer's warranty [ 1 yr ].

Also, I'd hold off on buying the AppleCare right now [ since you can buy it even on the last day of the original warranty ]

Finally, save a few bucks ($75-$100) and buy from B&H Photo or Adorama [ both are authorized ] over Apple.com

Have fun! :)

13. jadAce thread starter macrumors regular

jadAce

Thank you :) Another ridiculous followup, but if there's a chance I might want to get the Broadwell updated rMBP next year (and sell this one to someone), it would be best not to get AppleCare, right? The one year warranty should be fine?

14. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

As long as it's within the first year of original ownership, the computer is eligible for AppleCare.

If you're looking to get the Broadwell rMBP next year, it wouldn't make much sense in buying AppleCare.In fact, save a few more bucks buying a refurb from Apple. It'll be like new, if not completely new!, and carries the same full 1 yr manufacturer's warranty and eligible for AppleCare. That's what I'd do if I were looking to replace it with the newer model in less than a year.