Buying a 3.06Ghz Imac. Wait for Montevina?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by warensn, Jul 8, 2008.

  1. warensn macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    #1
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a 3.06 Ghz iMac. Is Montevina coming soon?
    Is it coming in days or weeks, and does it really matter?
    Thanks!
     
  2. warensn thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    #2
    I actually have my eye on the Refurbished iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz, GeForce 8800 GS for 300$ off

    So I guess the real question should be: Is Montevina worth 300 more bucks?
     
  3. kabunaru Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    #3
  4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #4
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

    aren't the current iMacs already the functional equivalent of montevina (same fsb and such)?
     
  5. illidian macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #5
    Essentially.

    The iMacs have, basically, Montevina in them now. Technically they're not Montevina, but the specs are the same. If there is an update, it will likely be a silent one to true Montevina chips but no one will notice.

    The next update for the iMac is Nahalem, which will not be out for some time. Unless you're prepared to wait at least six months for new technology, now is a great time to buy an iMac.
     
  6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

    BornAgainMac

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Location:
    Florida Resident
    #6
    It could be as long as 9 months before they come up with another major update. Buy now and then upgrade in 3 years with an iMac that exceeds anything Montevina would ever do for you and sell your current iMac 3.06 at that time. It won't go down that much considering you will get 3 years of use out of the thing.
     

Share This Page