Buying a 3.06Ghz Imac. Wait for Montevina?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by warensn, Jul 8, 2008.

1. warensn macrumors member

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 3.06 Ghz iMac. Is Montevina coming soon?
    Is it coming in days or weeks, and does it really matter?
    Thanks!

2. warensn thread starter macrumors member

I actually have my eye on the Refurbished iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz, GeForce 8800 GS for 300$ off

So I guess the real question should be: Is Montevina worth 300 more bucks?

3. kabunaru Guest

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

aren't the current iMacs already the functional equivalent of montevina (same fsb and such)?

5. illidian macrumors 6502

Essentially.

The iMacs have, basically, Montevina in them now. Technically they're not Montevina, but the specs are the same. If there is an update, it will likely be a silent one to true Montevina chips but no one will notice.

The next update for the iMac is Nahalem, which will not be out for some time. Unless you're prepared to wait at least six months for new technology, now is a great time to buy an iMac.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It could be as long as 9 months before they come up with another major update. Buy now and then upgrade in 3 years with an iMac that exceeds anything Montevina would ever do for you and sell your current iMac 3.06 at that time. It won't go down that much considering you will get 3 years of use out of the thing.