Buying a 3GS - should i get the 16G or 32G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by finkel98, Jul 15, 2009.

1. finkel98 macrumors newbie

Finally jumping on the iphone bandwagon! Never got an iphone before (2G or 3G) and wondering how much storage space I'll need on the 3GS.

I have an old 4G ipod nano that suits me well (even if I need to clean/change my music once in a while) - but am wondering how much space all the other functions of the iphone take? Namely emails, apps, movies etc.

Which kind of iphone 3GS do you all own and which kind of content do you keep on it? Is storage an issue?

Thanks!

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Apps take a little bit of room, emails and what not barely take up any. Some apps can take up a decent amount of space, but they're few and far between.

16 GB iPhone = 3000-4000 songs.
    32 GB iPhone = 6000-8000 songs. depending on the file size of the mp3.

as for movies, the 16 GB can hold about 20 hours worth of video, and the 32 GB is double. once again, it depends on the movie size.

3. Morn macrumors 6502

Little really.
    Only thing that's likely to use more than you'd expect is the video recording feature on the 3gs.

4. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

If you're getting along fine with a 4 GB iPod I'm sure even the 16 GB iPhone will be overkill.

6. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

I originally intended on getting the 16 gig because i am OK with not having my entire music collection with me at all times. But because Apple did not have a 16 in stock, i went with the 32. I enjoy having more freedom to put songs and video on it. Plus it will sell higher. Why not. its a mini computer in my pocket.

7. lw9090 macrumors regular

I spent the extra $100 and got 32.
    Much better if you have movies and if you plan downloading a 1-2GB GPS map software.

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

16 GB for me.
    Go big or save your money and apply it towards bills.

Ive got 42 apps, 437 songs, The Dark Night movie (1.2 gigs just for the movie), and 69 photos on my phone and I still have 8.1 Gigs left. Im fine on storage.

9. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Depends on what you put on your iphone. I have a 32g and have 286 songs, 22 videos(15 music videos and 7 full length movies) 96 photos and 12 apps. I have a whopping 17.9 gigs left. Worth the extra hundred to me on the front end just in case. Either way youll love it.

10. dagomike macrumors 65816

For me I think 32 GB is a ridiculous amount of space even with video. I'm sure I'll find a way to use it, but not sure I'd regret it if I got only 16 GB. Basically 32 GB means I can be lazy and not picky about music, podcasts, photos, and video clips.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But did you start a thread asking what to buy? Or did you just decide that on your own?

My advice will always be this:

If you start a thread asking how much storage you need, always pick the large size.

I don't even read these things anymore. The only thing that matters is that something in the OP's head made him doubt the small size and start this thread. I don't know what that thought was, and I don't care. The fact is. It happened.

Get the 32.

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I decided that on my own.
    And no, thats bad advice.
    When in doubt, dont get the bigger one just because.
    If that were the case, every man with a small penis would be clicking the spam mail in their folder for natural male enhancement.

Evaluate your financial situation. If 4GB has suited you all this time, 16GB on a tight budget will be great for you. If you've got the cash to blow, and plan on downloading a mess of lolcats and all the seasons of your favorite shows, then go with 32GB.

13. SeanMcC macrumors regular

32. You're never going to regret that you have too much space.

14. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I went back and forth and decided to upgrade my 16GB 3G to a 32GB 3GS and I'm very glad I did. I have my phone loaded with videos, music, videos I took, pictures, apps.

I am really taking advantage of the extra space, not to mention it was only 100.00 for double the capacity.

15. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Seems like you do, eh?

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What about my post made you think that?

I thought it was pretty obvious I didn't read the original post, but just the title and then some comments. But the actual post? Nah.

17. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

If money isn't a major concern then by all means get the 32. If money is a concern maybe question purchasing an iPhone at all.