Buying a 3GS this week?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by locklearmj, May 4, 2010.

1. locklearmj macrumors newbie

I broke my T-mobile phone recently and instead of buying a replacement I think it's time for me to go ahead and switch to another carrier as their reception around here sucks. Now I'm stuck without a phone and really unsure of what I should do.

The timing of this really blows because of the imminent release of the new iPhone. Should I go ahead and buy a 3GS this week, and just bite the bullet and pay full price when the new iPhone comes out? I really hate to drop $200-$300 on a 3GS and then turn around and spend another ~$600 a month or two from now to upgrade to the new iPhone. I guess I can always sell the 3GS to recoup some of the cost, but I might prefer to just keep it for a spare.

So, what should I do? :confused:

2. kyleb822 macrumors member

kyleb822

wait out the month and get the new iPhone 4G, maybe pickup a basic phone on T-mobile to hold you over, but definitely wait till June!

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If you buy now, you will only regret it in a couple of months.

4. Lara F macrumors 6502a

Wait. But if you really can't last the month, why not get a Nexus One on AT&T so you'll have something different once you upgrade to the iPhone HD?

5. tnisatard macrumors 6502

because n1 is $529

stay with tmobile for 1 more month and buy a phone off contract, they have something for like 50 bucks i think, then when the iphone 4 comes out, make the switch

6. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Wait! Don't buy one now. It's coming out and you will end up spending a bunch of cash for no good reason. Get a cheap unlocked phone that will be usable from Amazon or Newegg and use it for a month.

This way, you will have a back up in case your iPhone dies and it gets you though the month of waiting.

7. bigchief macrumors 6502a

If you want a 3Gs go ahead and get it. It's a nice phone. You'll get the 4.0 software update when it comes out for free. If not go to Wally World and get a cheap throw away phone. It will do for a month.

8. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Go get a Go phone. Unless keeping your number is an issue? Keep T-Mo, and go to the cheapest, most basic plan you can. It'll all be month/month. Then when your ready to go, port it to AT&T, and done...

9. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Just wait for the new one. Even though you could sell the 3GS for a decent price when the new one comes out.

10. superspartan macrumors member

I bought a 3GS about 3 weeks ago, had a bit of buyer's remorse, and posted a question similar to yours asking if I should return it or not. In the end, I decided to keep my 3GS.

There will always be a newer, better, cheaper option on the horizon. If you want it now, buy it. If you can wait, then wait. Simple answer.

I'm loving my 3GS (especially now that it's jailbroken). I'm sure I'll be drooling over the 4G once it's released, but at least this way I'll be able to get a 5G in my hands faster :)

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You're crazy if you buy now. Wait a month or so and you'll have the G4 for the same price or a 3GS much reduced in price.

12. troop231 macrumors 603

This, wait it out or you'll be sorry :p