Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
it seems macOS doesn't support HDMI 2.1 and likely never will,so using any tv that relies on HDMI means you are stuck with 4k60

would you buy a 4k120 TV still? or is it just a stupid purchase given u cannot benefit from everything it has to offer?

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
It’s worth buying if you have 120fps content (4K or otherwise) and an alternative way of playing it. IMO it’s more worthwhile getting a HDR capable TV than 120hz - there’s way more 24 or 30 fps HDR content than there is 120.

Reactions: appleArticulate

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
It’s worth buying if you have 120fps content (4K or otherwise) and an alternative way of playing it. IMO it’s more worthwhile getting a HDR capable TV than 120hz - there’s way more 24 or 30 fps HDR content than there is 120.
it's not even for playing actually I ain't a gamer

I was talking about a 4k120hz HDR tv actually,but because macOS doesn't have hdmi2.1 support i would be stuck at 4k60 so...

appleArticulate

Suspended
Jan 6, 2022
I don't think you're going to be looking at a lot of 4K 120fps content, regardless. TV's native abilities are always outpacing content and sources.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
No.

There is an entire world of knowledge on this. Go look it up. TV's are not meant to be used as computer monitors for a myriad of reasons.
I've already been reading about it and so far the only thing that truly annoys me is the lack of DP in most if not all TVs,other than that I think it's worth the tradeoff .a good color accurate OLED monitor is over 3 times as expensive .

the consensus being not as clear as you make it appear to be ,I asked why what in your opinion makes it not worth it

appleArticulate

Suspended
Jan 6, 2022
I've already been reading about it and so far the only thing that truly annoys me is the lack of DP in most if not all TVs,other than that I think it's worth the tradeoff .a good color accurate OLED monitor is over 3 times as expensive .
First of all, you don't need an OLED monitor. Most computer monitors are not OLED. Terrible use case for OLED.

All you need is an IPS panel. If you want one with wide color, plenty of those exist. Also, it is pretty funny to see you talk about "color accurate" in relation to this and thinking you're going to use a TV. TV's are terrible at producing color accuracy for computers. Take any TV and 5 of the cheapest computer displays you can find and all the computer displays will be more color accurate than the TV.

You're off on completely the wrong trajectory. There is no shortcut that allows you to save money by buying a TV instead of a computer display, and get good quality out of it. There is a reason why no TV has a display port in. There is a reason why people have computer monitors on their desks and not TVs. You haven't stumbled onto something that no one else has thought of it. TV's are too large to sit close to, are not meant to show static content all day long, have low resolution compared to physical size, have poor color modes for computers, etc. etc. etc.

Reactions: synicalx1

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
First of all, you don't need an OLED monitor. Most computer monitors are not OLED. Terrible use case for OLED.

All you need is an IPS panel. If you want one with wide color, plenty of those exist. Also, it is pretty funny to see you talk about "color accurate" in relation to this and thinking you're going to use a TV. TV's are terrible at producing color accuracy for computers. Take any TV and 5 of the cheapest computer displays you can find and all the computer displays will be more color accurate than the TV.

You're off on completely the wrong trajectory. There is no shortcut that allows you to save money by buying a TV instead of a computer display, and get good quality out of it. There is a reason why no TV has a display port in. There is a reason why people have computer monitors on their desks and not TVs. You haven't stumbled onto something that no one else has thought of it. TV's are too large to sit close to, are not meant to show static content all day long, have low resolution compared to physical size, have poor color modes for computers, etc. etc. etc.
gotcha

never said i needed one

the color accurate point wasnt probably the best thing to pull out indeed lol

idk about macOS but windows has gotten much better at color management on TV

i havent stumbled onto something that no one thought of,it isnt a bright idea of mine but rather many people who got fed up and went for a good looking tv that would otherwise be out of consumer price range if it were a monitor

as for distance i agree,but thats pretty doable. static content for oled is indeed a problem,but between pixel shifting and the warranty (added warratny)its sth that can be covered .low resolution depends on the distance anyway

there is sth with wrgb however that can be annoying.depends on manufacturer

appleArticulate

Suspended
Jan 6, 2022
Well, good luck. That's about all I can say.

I have seen people think they are going to beat the system by buying a $300 4K TV, only to realize it doesn't look like a 4K computer display would.

arayaa

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2022
it seems macOS doesn't support HDMI 2.1 and likely never will,so using any tv that relies on HDMI means you are stuck with 4k60

would you buy a 4k120 TV still? or is it just a stupid purchase given u cannot benefit from everything it has to offer?
I think if you have one of the newer Mac´s you can use USB-C (DisplayPort with 4k 120Hz output)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.