Buying a 5s on a new VZW plan - Am I missing something here?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by someguy, Oct 14, 2013.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I wanted to preorder a 5s tonight, and looking on Apple's site, the prices for plans are outrageous. The 500MB "Share Everything" plan is $80/mo??

Looking on Verizon's site, it seems I can get the same phone and plan for $40/mo. Shouldn't the plan be the same price?

I've got to be missing something here, right?

Apple's site:
    [​IMG]

Verizon's site:
    [​IMG]

2. Bear macrumors G3

What you're missing is the the $40 on the Verizon site doesn't include the $40 for the first phone. Go through the Verizon process a bit further and it will show you $80 per month.

Attached Files:

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks for the information, but $80/mo for 500MB of data is absolutely absurd. Is this type of plan my only option if I want Verizon?

4. Bear macrumors G3

You can see if you can pay full price for the iPhone and use the prepaid plans.

Right now, I'm looking at moving from Verizon when I have to replace my flip phone. They've made data plans mandatory for even basic flip phones when you get a new phone.

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

My whole family has Verizon. Maybe I can jump on their plan for a bit less.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I kept my son on my shared plan (he's 28) so he could save some money. In return, he paid for my iPhone 5. We both came out ahead.

7. mfram macrumors 65816

My friend asked them about this. Turns out VZW's pre-paid plans do NOT include LTE. So they probably won't sell you to have an iPhone on a pre-paid plan.

He ended up going with T-Mobile because it seemed like a better deal to him with just one phone.

I'm on the VZW shared 2 Gig plan with my iPhone and iPad. It's expensive, but at least I get a little bit of a discount from work.

8. Bear macrumors G3

Verizon pricing is insane, which is why I'm jumping ship when I have to replace my phone. T-Mobile seems likely as my choice.

9. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

For anyone wondering, I kept my 4S and changed my Sprint plan to something dirt cheap without renewing the contract. I'll revisit Verizon when their subscribers begin to cancel and their plans become less unreasonably priced.