Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mp2017

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Agree, if Apple had a at least bothered to update the components two or three times since the release it would actually still be a very nice machine. Thankfully insurance covered most of the upgrade when my apartment partially flooded. I love mine as-is but the geek in me cringed at paying what Apple is asking even after the price drop.
I feel one of the reasons prices have remained higher than expected (at least higher than I would have expected) is that Apple has not changed it at all nor released something new. If you're in the Mac ecosystem you really don't have much choice.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
This is largely because many of the posters here reside in their bubble of nMP hate (and spread FUD for their own amusement - see quote below), and that sentiment just seeps into the thinking of everything around here.
So, you would buy an MP6,1 without any worry that you'd get one with the "Apple can't fix" GPU problems?

If so, you just live in a different bubble.

circuitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Yeah going with a d300 to keep price down, upgrading to a d700 would cost me 470 dollars more, and from the research I've done so far its outdated technology. I don't really render video, just dabble with it. Gaming well I'd just build a cheap PC for that or see what comes of eGPU in high sierra. I'm doing strictly audio so I don't see the point in a high end GPU that most programs don't even utilize. And getting Apple care to combat the so called GPU issue an aid in offing the Mac in a couple years if in lucky for 1k.

Last edited:

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
I'm sorry, I would not buy a nMP at all. The prices are just stupid.
Buy some components and do a hackintosh. Much faster and much cheaper.
I don't care if it's illegal or not. It just makes sense and does work.

Reactions: stevekr

mp2017

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
I'm sorry, I would not buy a nMP at all. The prices are just stupid.
Buy some components and do a hackintosh. Much faster and much cheaper.
I don't care if it's illegal or not. It just makes sense and does work.
Having just recently been in the market for one I can second the price comment. Especially on used quad core unit. Sellers are asking around $2K for a used quad core system while Apple is selling new hexa core systems for only a thousand dollars more. While a thousand dollars is nothing to sneeze at the extra money buys you an additional two cores, 4GB or RAM, and, more importantly, D500 graphics over D300. Plus you're purchasing a brand new system as opposed to a used one.

All that said and done I ended up buying a used hexa core system with D300s. While not current technology it's a great little system. If you need the capabilities of a Mac Pro they're nice systems.

circuitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Yeah got a 2013 Mac Pro 8 core w/ D500 and 64gb of ram its a total monster.
It's the best mac Ive ever owned, no fan noise, CPU throddling, etc.. I use it mainly for audio so the fact that's it's totally silent at full tilt for hours. It's exactly what I was looking for. Not a hack with colored led fans and constant tinkering. That will have no resale value in a couple years where the Mac will still have some value left. Nobody wants to buy a used custom PC.

Last edited:

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
Starting to see the quad core systems get below $2K. When they get to around $1500 it will be a great deal, especially as CPU and RAM upgrades are getting much cheaper and the GPU is less of an issue now with eGPUs.

mp2017

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Yeah got a 2013 Mac Pro 8 core w/ D500 and 64gb of ram its a total monster.
It's the best mac Ive ever owned, no fan noise, CPU throddling, etc.. I use it mainly for audio so the fact that's it's totally silent at full tilt for hours, it's exactly what I was looking for. Not a hack with colored led fans and constant tinkering that will have no resale value in a couple years where the Mac will still have some value left. Nobody wants to buy a used custom PC.
I have a Z620 with dual, 8 core processors, 64GB RAM, and a FirePro 3900 video card. When transcoding video with Handbrake the system is very quiet. That might change if I installed some higher end video cards but for a "beige" box system it's quite quiet.
[doublepost=1508361380][/doublepost]
Starting to see the quad core systems get below $2K. When they get to around $1500 it will be a great deal, especially as CPU and RAM upgrades are getting much cheaper and the GPU is less of an issue now with eGPUs.
I saw one on Ebay for $,1600 including an Apple 24" Display. Unfortunately someone bought it before I was able to.

jerry512

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2006
San Francisco
If your near MicroCenter they had a couple for $1599.. I was able to purchase a d300 from best but for $1750. I had to call in to reset my Warranty start date. I figure if I blows up in the new 3 years I'm covered..

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
If your near MicroCenter they had a couple for $1599.. I was able to purchase a d300 from best but for $1750. I had to call in to reset my Warranty start date. I figure if I blows up in the new 3 years I'm covered..
Interesting. Just checked Best Buy and they are selling the quad core for the same price as before...$2999.

jerry512

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2006
San Francisco
Interesting. Just checked Best Buy and they are selling the quad core for the same price as before...$2999.
[doublepost=1508372275][/doublepost]it was a process. Ymmv. I live near Frys electronics in n cal. Frys has the d300 advertised for 1900. I went to the store to purchase and a they only had a open box so they took 10% off. I was happy until I called in to register it and found out warranty had expired. So I returned Mac Pro back to store. I took the receipt to B.B. and they priced matched. Hope not his helps.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Hope not his helps.

training-education-personal_assistant-type-spell_check-spellchecker-secretary-12269405_low[1].jpg

Reactions: w1z

circuitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
What the hell.

[doublepost=1508372275][/doublepost]it was a process. Ymmv. I live near Frys electronics in n cal. Frys has the d300 advertised for 1900. I went to the store to purchase and a they only had a open box so they took 10% off. I was happy until I called in to register it and found out warranty had expired. So I returned Mac Pro back to store. I took the receipt to B.B. and they priced matched. Hope not his helps.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
After realizing the iMac pro is out of my budget (don't need to spend $5K on computers anymore) and the next mac pro is still a ways out, I recently sold my 6-core/D500/1TB/32GB for 2600 on ebay. Could probably have gotten more tbh, but I wanted a quick sale.

I sidegraded to a 2017 imac for 2899, which turns out to have similar CPU performance despite only being 4 cores, has a way better GPU than the D500s (580 with 8GB VRAM), faster RAM, 3x faster SSD, TB3 so I can add an eGPU in the future, and a beautiful 10bit 5K screen included. A webcam is also a bonus, now I can actually answer calls at my desk.

It's not as quiet as the nMP but the fan is still really well behaved. Also haven't noticed any "throttling" in heavy use (FCP X, Davinci Resolve) that all the losers online spread FUD about.

Last edited:

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
It's not as quiet as the nMP but the fan is still really well behaved. Also haven't noticed any "throttling" in heavy use (FCP X, Davinci Resolve) that all the losers online spread FUD about.
Online loser here. I think it's great you haven't noticed it throttle during your version of heavy use.

Some people's version of heavy use might include hash cat. Educate yourself and try this:

- run a hash cat benchmark and record the numbers
- run the benchmark in a loop, and record the numbers

There's a reason for that lower output. Be sure to show us your work.

Have the grace to come back here and share with us what you've learned about throttling.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
- run a hash cat benchmark and record the numbers
- run the benchmark in a loop, and record the numbers

Cool. So which industry/client requires you to do these? Or do you just benchmark so you can be cool on a forum. Hobbyist.

I work in the creative industry, and this machine serves me very well. My old nMP did too, but this one has more current specs for roughly the same price.

circuitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Guess losers have condenser microphones in treated rooms that are dead quiet, so any fan noise is too much noise. Go back to your consumer IMac ! Just kidding, but remember everyone has different needs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.