Buying a backpack for MBP...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amber, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Amber macrumors regular

I've looked at the Brenthaven ones and wasn't THAT impressed for the money. I've looked online at the ATM Sports 2 and it seems quite good.

I'm not sure whether to get a TOUGH sleeve (as in maybe heavy) and a decent backpack or a laptop backpack.

I need to carry my MBP 15", charger, external 3.5 HD, cables, a firewire interface (Apogee Duet) and books, mags, etc. I want to not have to worry about my MBP at all. I don't want something I'll still fanny around with!

I'm in London so if anyone can suggest something I can look at that would be great also... I don't know London too well.

2. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I bought the belly L or something like that from crumpler. Although I don't like the crumpler messengerbags (not just crumpler, I'm to old to enjoy these things I guess and I limp around with way to much stuff) the backpacks they make are really nice.

And like all crumpler products, they are very nice build.

I had a Brenthaven backpack for my MBP, but it didn't last more than a year, one shoulder strap gave way on the underside of the pack. I know I can be rough on a pack, but that wasn't needed. The store was a PITA for warranty so I decided to let them know how I felt about it. Very relieving for me.
    Then I went to a crumpler store in Rotterdam and bought this pack.
    Doesn't look like a laptop bag.
    One thing I do miss about the Brenthavens is the though extra thick sleeve they make with almost tooooo much protection.

Good luck finding your pack!

3. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

I've been looking at the top of the line Booq backpacks. Expensive but they look really good and are pretty stylish too.

Anyone tried these?

4. Iso79 macrumors member

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

6. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I have The North Face Big Shot. Its a bit longer in the torso than most backpacks but has two front slash pockets that do well for cord management, 1 main compartment with a sleeve inside for your computer (or hydration bag), and various pockets for organization in side the main opening. It cinches down tight and doubles as a day pack for outdoor trip or city touring. My only beef is that stuff sometimes falls out of the organization pockets and make their way to the bottom of the bag where its a bit of a pain to retrieve. The bag is big enough that, if you pack light, you could use it for a 2-3 day backpacking. I think its 34 liters or about 2100 cubic inches.
    I highly recommend it.

7. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

I just happen to have a 3.5 HDD. I also connect it via eSATA sometimes. It isn't really that big anyway.

The Incase Nylon Backpack looks good. Just wish there were places in London I could check these bags out. The Apple store only seems to do the Brenthaven Backpacks and I don't like them too much.

8. Nydator macrumors member

I highly recommend the STM Medium Evolution backpack. It has heaps of padding, huge capacity and seems very well made. I have been lugging my MBP 15" on and off trains and planes all over Europe for several months now and both backpack and MBP still look like new. The backpack is also very comfortable - even with the MBP and a Nikon D80 in it.

9. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

My friend has the incase backpack.. great bag. I would take that over the Brenthaven..